Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently switched tires from Maxxis EXO Rekon 2.6/Forekaster 2.35 in 120 tip to Specialized Grid Eliminators (2.6/2.3). New tires fell way stiff and hard. Running low psi 16 f/18 r. Grip and braking is much better. Is the the Grid casing a stiffer sidewalk or is the 120 tpi in Maxxis causing this? Or both?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I recently switched from a 120tpi Maxxis to a 60tpi Maxxis and then back to a 120tpi Maxxis. I could feel a lot of difference with the 60's feeling sluggish, less responsive and much less trail feel. I've yet to cut a sidewall with 120tpi EXO so I personally don't need 60tpi tires.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Yup... 120tpi tires will definitely feel stiffer in the sidewalls. The lower TPI and "DH" type casings will not only feel heavier but less supple because they are more meant for bashing against/into rocks and whatnot. Thinking of it like driving your vehicle down a washboard road with the tires inflated to standard road pressures (35-42psi depending) or running them lower like when you are wheeling (15-20psi). The lower pressure will take some of the edge off as it allows the sidewall to conform to things around it. A more supple casing, higher tpi count, does similar.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replys and kinda what I thought. I did think the Grid casing would be somewhat equivalent to the EXO. Honestly my climbing times are nearly identical but just feel a little bounced around even running just 16 psi in front

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.