Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for new tires. I have been successfully running Maxxis Ignitors LUST, but they are getting a little long in the tooth.

I'm 150 lbs geared, on a Santa Cruz Superlight. Rims are Mavic XM819.

Ride exclusively in the desert; very dry (can't remember the last time I saw mud), but very rocky and the rocks are sharp, so durability is my primary concern. Traction in the turns can be lacking due to the flat, smooth hardpack that develops, coupled with a thin, loose layer of sand/dust/dirt over the top.

This is on my XC training wheelset, but given the terrain I need them to be durable, every day.

Weight is not a concern, more than willling to run heavy tires and to not worry about sidewalls as much.

Must be UST!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I ride in similar conditions and I liked the Maxxis Crossmark for the rear and the Maxxis Ardent for the front, both in the 2.25 size. They are large volume, cushy but fast rolling combo. Using the Hutchinson Python UST 2.3 for the rear now and it's burlier than the crossmark but doesn't seem to roll as well as the crossmark.

·
SPECIALizED
590 Posts
I've ran Kenda's UST Nevegals and SB8s and their sidewalls are tough. I've yet to tear one and have had 2 flats over the last 2-3 years. One was from a piece of glass on the sidewalk. They are heavy at 700+/- for the 2.1 and 1000+/- for the 2.35 Nevegals. BTW still running the UST Nevegals.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
mountain kings. i hate nevegals, the MK is a much much better tire. if you need something bombproof then get the "protection" version.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts