Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of doing a new setup on my 29er steel hardtail. Have been running the Geax GATO 29x2.3 up front with Spesh Purgatory Control 2.2 in the rear but want to go with something that is a little more XC and lighter.
Funny thing is that I am finding that the 2.3 GATO is only supposed to weigh in about 690g in the foldable AM tire with the Spesh around 750g. Normally during the summers I run the Gato up front and a Saguaro in back as the Sag hooks up better for my trails (dont really have anything super wet or muddy during the summer to cause to slip.

The one thing that I really like about the Spesh is the square profile of the tire where the GATO is very round.

Part of the reason this comes up is yesterday I went for a ride on a new trail in my area. The trail was tons of fun, well except for the climbs that had deep decomposed granite (think 2"+ of loose) and with those two heavy tires it was just a nasty grind. Add on the fact that the Purg kept braking loose in the loose corners and did not seem predictable, I was a bit torqued.

So two questions...
1. Anyone run the new 2.0 version of the Saguaro? If so, what are your thoughts.
2. What other tires are good for XC trail riding (I live near Lake Tahoe so I ride there a lot and live in No. NV so lots of desert riding with some good loose over hard) that has a more square profile? Not a huge fan of Spesh but was thinking of the Captain or Control.

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
I have some guys over here in Elko running the WTB Nine Lines. They really like the low rolling resistance and how well the tires wear. They really push their bikes and have not had anything bad to say about them yet. Plus, they are 585 grams each......wow!

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn that is light! I was looking at the Speshy tires and the lowest they are is 750g which seems exceptionally heavy for some reason (my Geax isnt that much).

Since I run Stans Flows I am wondering how well they would seat tubeless. Getting the GEAX off is an absolute b#$%* and I almost busted a tire iron when I was taking the Saguaro off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.