Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Oh momma.
But no 29" bikes, because those are a bad plan, right? :)

I wish they made the Fast Trak in their best compound, a friend of mine notices a big difference in 26". The Pro is a good tire now, but the mold could produce an awesome tire, if they just did it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Cloxxki said:
...I wish they made the Fast Trak in their best compound, a friend of mine notices a big difference in 26". The Pro is a good tire now, but the mold could produce an awesome tire, if they just did it.
Phssstt...
The S-Works tires are basically race-only. Grippy but short life, fast wearing and more expensive.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
20.100 FR said:
From my spy assisting at the 2007 Specialized product presentation:

Specialized is going to release a new tire : 29x2.3, called "experience".

@++
V
I had been given hints there was another 29" tire in the works. If they are calling it a 2.3 it will be very high volume.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nag

Cloxxki said:
But no 29" bikes, because those are a bad plan, right? :)

I
Why is it that there is more nagging about new product launches in this forum than any other? True that it's been an uphill battle so-to-speak to get new 29er products to market. But when some one launches a new frame it never has enough tire clearance or the geometry just isn't right, when some one introduces a rim it's not wide enough or whatever and now when Specialized, a compnay that has obviously been reluctant to enter the market, launches not one but two new tire designs within the past several months the response is that "29" bikes are a bad plan and why don't they use a different rubber compound for hell sakes! :skep: PLEASE!

Try this instead, "Hey Specialized, thanks for launching yet another tire, a 2.3 no less! Keep up the good work, can't wait to see a 29er frame from you guys soon!" :thumbsup:

I can't wait for more companies to bring more and better products to market and feedback from savvy consumers is key to that process but the nagging (albeit from probably a small group of 'naggers') in this forum is just stupid. :madman:

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Point well taken

altaskier said:
Why is it that there is more nagging about new product launches in this forum than any other? True that it's been an uphill battle so-to-speak to get new 29er products to market. But when some one launches a new frame it never has enough tire clearance or the geometry just isn't right, when some one introduces a rim it's not wide enough or whatever and now when Specialized, a compnay that has obviously been reluctant to enter the market, launches not one but two new tire designs within the past several months the response is that "29" bikes are a bad plan and why don't they use a different rubber compound for hell sakes! :skep: PLEASE!

Try this instead, "Hey Specialized, thanks for launching yet another tire, a 2.3 no less! Keep up the good work, can't wait to see a 29er frame from you guys soon!" :thumbsup:

I can't wait for more companies to bring more and better products to market and feedback from savvy consumers is key to that process but the nagging (albeit from probably a small group of 'naggers') in this forum is just stupid. :madman:
However, (and I think you may have seen this before) Specialized was one of the companies that kind of went out of their way to say that 29"ers were not something they wanted to see allowed into UCI sanctioned events and that they had no intentions of bringing one to market. Bad public relations mistake? Yes. Something that should be forgiven? Probably. However, some of us can not resist the urge to "give a dig" when we hear about plans from Specialized that include 29"er bikes or products.

Your point is well made and noted. I think Cloxxki was just giving us a bit of sarcasm based upon Specializeds past history with 29"ers. I'm sure glad they are coming around and if this tire is high volume, as Shiggy suggests it might be, then Cloxxki and all the rest of us will certainly be pleased to see another option.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Fair point.
But I didn't mean it that mean, not this time at least.
It's so different with Specialized. Where the rest of the market complains of how hard and expensive it is to "just" make a new tire, Specialized HAS tires, and now appararently working on a second model, while it always seemed to me that their tire line was just there to be used OEM on their own bikes and make some extra bucks in retail.
Would S be cautiously trying to move out of complete bikes, and into parts that conquer the world, starting with 29"?

Shiggy, I'm all about soft compound race-only fast-wearing tires :)
By lack of off-roads here ( well, we have some berms), I mostly ride off-road during races anyway. Soft compound front tires make me happy. I get "tired" of front tires before they wear out anyway. Never wore out a 29" front in my life (must be the +10% thing).

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/features/specialized_2007_mtb

Specialized has a long history in making off-road tires, and 2007 brings more of the same. The versatile Resolution tread design gets revised for next year with wider and flatter center knobs with ramped leading edges for faster rolling. Transition knobs get also get rearranged for a more consistent cornering. Tubed and UST versions will be available in 26 x 2.1in and 2.3in, and 29er fans will be thrilled to see a 29 x 2.3in tubed version as well.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
From the above article :

Other stuff

Specialized has a long history in making off-road tires, and 2007 brings more of the same. The versatile Resolution tread design gets revised for next year with wider and flatter center knobs with ramped leading edges for faster rolling. Transition knobs get also get rearranged for a more consistent cornering. Tubed and UST versions will be available in 26 x 2.1in and 2.3in, and 29er fans will be thrilled to see a 29 x 2.3in tubed version as well.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
Classic, I just noticed in your sig that you actually quote yourself.

"Be careful what you promise, people may actually expect you to live up to it, without reminding you." [Cloxxki]

Hehehe, oh crap that's funny. That's worse than self applying a nick name.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Boon Fly said:
Why is it that there is more nagging about new product launches in this forum than any other?
You know you never give into a kid that's whining for something because next time he'll be unstoppable? A few manufacturers listened to the group in here and now they can't shut up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.