Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
I probably shouldn't chuckle at this, but the reporter said they closed the path and some did not heed the warning. It looks like those cyclists did not listen too well. I would be one of those too, and actually give it a go myself.. looks fun.

Reactions: MrAitchGee

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Lake Shore Drive is known for impressive winds and waves. Its actually not difficult to ascertain the severity of the waves before getting that close to the lake. It was pretty unwise of those cyclists and runners to venture on that path during a time of high waves. In most places there is nothing at all between the path and the lake.

As a side note having grown up in Chicagoland and now living in the west Denver metro area, in my opinion the Chinook winds off the mountains put any Chicago winds to shame. The roof on my house needed to be rated to 70 mph to meet my town's code and I completely understand why. There have been times I was certain my windows would blow in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I laughed. I'm sure it really sucked for them, but it's funny. Especially the runner at the end who just disappears in the foam xD

I'm allowed to laugh too cause it's happened to me. My first glasses frames are somewhere in Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia because they got swept off my face when I was on the breakwater wall during 3 m swells. That was not fun. That day I learned what kinetic energy water can have.

·
Registered
960 Posts
As a side note having grown up in Chicagoland and now living in the west Denver metro area, in my opinion the Chinook winds off the mountains put any Chicago winds to shame. The roof on my house needed to be rated to 70 mph to meet my town's code and I completely understand why. There have been times I was certain my windows would blow in.
Not long after moving to Colo Spgs in '86 I was woke up one morning by huge wind gusts rattling everything. It was still dark and I watched what I thought was a pickup drive past without his lights on. A little later when it was a bit more light I realized it wasn't a pickup, but a dumpster.:eek: The house across the street lost a pretty big chunk off its roof, too. News said it had been 80 mph gusts. The front range is a very windy place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.