Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any idea when the new Thomson set-back seat post will be in the shops?...

I guess you will have heard about it?, just I've only read one article about it a few months ago and never heard nothing else about it since. I was hoping to get one for my new build and didn't want to have to buy something else in the mean time.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I've had a Thomson set-back post for years so what's different? I had a look on the Thomson website and see no mention of a new version.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Huh, first I'd heard of it...

Thomson Adding More Traditional 25mm Setback Seatpost Design

"Their original set back post uses a bent tube to achieve the offset. But, they admit that it's not the best aesthetic choice for all bikes. So they're developing a second 25mm offset post that'll use a straight post and revised head to get the saddle further back. Look for it a bit later this year."

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
subscribed for an answer
1st of heard of it too, it seems a little like fixing a problem that doesn't exist, but aesthetics are just as important as function I guess. The beauty of the bend is in the eye of the beholder. To bend or not to bend, that is the question.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Works great on my Paradox frame with bent seat tube. Almost looks as if it was designed for it.:yesnod:

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SteveF the link you posted in your comment above , that's where I read about it...I'm surprised not many of you knew but then saying that I had only seen that one article about it a few months ago myself.

Looks like no more news on it since.

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
I had an XL frame that could have used this. I returned a Thomson setback post once because I needed to get the saddle down just that much further for descending and jumping comfortably. It was a great trail bike and felt like it fit great but I really had to get the seat down. Putting the saddle back further on the rails worked but compromised integrity of the rails and I definitely busted them faster. It could seem like trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist as indicated but I would have liked having one built in this style by Thomson.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,826 Posts
Bent post looked awesome on my Karate Monkey with it's bent seat tube.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Anyone got any idea when the new Thomson set-back seat post will be in the shops?...

I guess you will have heard about it?, just I've only read one article about it a few months ago and never heard nothing else about it since. I was hoping to get one for my new build and didn't want to have to buy something else in the mean time.
I emailed Thomson and asked about the new post. They said it would be available in May 2015

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats good to know, thanks. I ended up buying a Thomson setback post which I like but sometimes wish I too could try my seat a bit lower. But by the time the new post is available I will probably be using a dropper...
A good idea though - the new seat post, Thomson should have designed it like this to start with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know whay you mean. Just so you know though its not like the seat post with a bend in, its a straight post with some set back back built into the head. I think its about 20mm or something like that...its been so long I can't remember exactly how much set back it was meant to have now. They seem slow with this and the new 40mm stem seems to be a bit slow getting to the shops. They don't seem to have that problem with the droppers though as far as I know. Maybe because they're a small company I don't know.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I don't understand brand snobbery.

There are a heck of a lot of posts on the market, why not just buy one that fits and ride the darn bike! Why hanker after a Thomson one just because it has the name Thomson on it?

I wanted a lay-back post, had a Google and found a Funn one that was a good price and looked pretty sturdy. Job done :0)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.