Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my Tallboy delivered today, and as I'm looking at the box, I notice a huge hole through the side. I didn't think anything of it until I got inside and started to unpack it... as it turns out, the frame (rear, right seatstay) has a huge chunk taken out of it and a bunch of scrapes in the same area. This is from the Colorado Cyclist, who did a fantastic job with everything else. They said that they're going to get me a replacement frame. UPS is going to interview me, too. This really ruined the welcome home party for my bike, and the riding I had planned for this weekend. What does ups stand for? yo.U P.iss on u.S Your consolations are welcomed, and appreciated. Check it out:

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How in the crap does this happen? Do you guys know how hard you have to hit a box to make shards of cardboard come out like that? It looks like the dammed thing was shot with a riot gun (bean bag), and then someone tried to finish the box off with a flat blade screwdriver through the hole. Does anyone know any carbon fiber specs that would tell you how many pounds of force it would take to indent and almost crack a seatstay? It looks intentional, to me. A box couldn't fall hard enough for that to happen, unless it fell 20 stories. Looks like someone hit it with a digging bar. Sucks

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to eat lots of indian food and watch darren berrecloth videos, and reread these posts you've left me. That will make me feel better. I put the poor little guy up on the couch with a pillow and blanket, next to his wheelset. I know he'd want it that way. :(

full x0, thomson components, straitline platforms, talas terralogic, bwahahaha I can't go on I'm crying

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jomissa said:
thats a bummer- will Scruz hook you up or will you have to fight with UPS about this and explain why its so much $$ for a bicycle frame replacement?
I called Colorado Cyclist immediately, and Andy there helped me out. Friendly guy, helpful. He said he'd file the claim with UPS. I called UPS myself, too, and confirmed. UPS is going to come out and interview me, look at the box, and look at the bike... next week. Andy said he'd probably get me a new frame, but has to talk to Santa Cruz, as they don't have my size in stock. It's complicated, but I'm doing all that I can. Colorado Cyclist packed the bike really well, too. But, a digging bar through the side of a box hard enough to go through 2 layers of cardboard and dig into a carbon fiber frame, leaving trails of scratches behind, is a hard impact. God knows what or who did that. I wish I knew.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Should have used Pony Express!

just kidding... ;)

Really truly bummed for you. I've had similar non bike related situations (claw foot bathtub...don't ask!). It's a great omen that you bought from a reputable company and they are stepping up.

Enjoy that first ride when you get the replacement! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
You would be surprised to see what happens when boxes get jammed on conveyor belts with hundreds of packages behind them. Unfortunately the nature of the shipping beast is that packages get sent through large hubs which have tons of packages on conveyor belts at the same time. The best thing to do in the future when receiving a package that is damaged is to simply refuse delivery of the package no matter how eager you await its contents. With someone like Colorado Cyclist they should have the experience to insure everything they ship, hopefully you are well taken care of.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Yeah, UPS has a talent for damaging stuff. I shipped a steel SyCip single speed frame once, actually built a box to go around the head tube, braced the head tube inside the box, and it still arrived with a dent in the top of head tube. Of course, they disavowed all knowledge and left it between me and the buyer to work out...

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope that Colorado Cyclist insures their stuff. I am guessing that they do. It would suck if they, or I, have to eat the cost. I doubt that would happen, but worse things have happened before. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am sorry it was me .
I was driving for UPS when I saw your link on MTBR for the new Niner/Fox 36mm fork with scrapper bike link.
I lauged so hard I didn't see the car in front brake...well the truck jacknifed and all the boxes of ski equipment and bike frames in the back went from side to side.
I managed to get the ski stocks out of the bike boxes but it took allot of effort.
Lucky my own Huffy was in the back but I had her bubble wraped. The four tones of pink/purple mettalic still look sweet.
But condolences seriously

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mark Strong said:
I am sorry it was me .
I was driving for UPS when I saw your link on MTBR for the new Niner/Fox 36mm fork with scrapper bike link.
I lauged so hard I didn't see the car in front brake...well the truck jacknifed and all the boxes of ski equipment and bike frames in the back went from side to side.
I managed to get the ski stocks out of the bike boxes but it took allot of effort.
Lucky my own Huffy was in the back but I had her bubble wraped. The four tones of pink/purple mettalic still look sweet.
But condolences seriously
:eek: I'll get you for this. Marky mark and the funky bunch goin' down.

Seriously, that's funny. That really got a laugh out of me :D

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
What a tease to have it in your hands and not be able to build it up. That is going to be a sick build and I like the black terralogic fork, be sure to give us an update with that!

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1-bar said:
What a tease to have it in your hands and not be able to build it up. That is going to be a sick build and I like the black terralogic fork, be sure to give us an update with that!
Thanks bro. I couldn't resist, and had to lick the top tube a little bit. If you have small children you may want to cover their eyes. XXX hardcore

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Sold a brand new BMX bike and shipped it via Fedex.....was only going about 90 miles south. They ran over it with the forklift.....you could see the marks on the box, along with the ginormous hole.....frame & wheels were trashed.

Good news, Fedex acknowledged they did the damage.....wrapped it up in plastic wrap, and returned it to me......all was insured and they paid my claim in the week.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.