Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my search for upgrading the sunringle wheelset on my bike led me to a local bike shop where the owner said he built custom wheels. A few emails later explaining to him what I wanted, he invited me to visit the shop to see what he had going on. I had thought this guy just fixed up old bikes to sell cheap, do repairs, and was a dealer for Rocky Mountain bikes. I get there and it's readily apparent this guy builds expensive wheelsets, as well as expensive custom bikes for customers as well. After talking with him a while, it became obvious to me that this guy wasn't stoked on building a custom wheelset for under $1k, which is quite a bit more than I want to spend.

He did, however, have a new take-off wheelset from a RM PowerPlay he said he would like to sell. The wheelset has RF AR35 rims, a front Rocky Mountain stock hub, a DT 370 rear hub, Maxxis DHF and Aggressor 27.5x2.50WT tires, and tubes. He was asking $500 for the wheels with the tires left on. Is this a fair price on this set of wheels with tires and spare tubes? I have little doubt that they are a better wheelset than the sunringle Duroc 45's with SRC hubs that are currently on my Timberjack, but I just don't know if the price of $500 is a fair price on stock take-off stuff. Any opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
So my search for upgrading the sunringle wheelset on my bike led me to a local bike shop where the owner said he built custom wheels. A few emails later explaining to him what I wanted, he invited me to visit the shop to see what he had going on. I had thought this guy just fixed up old bikes to sell cheap, do repairs, and was a dealer for Rocky Mountain bikes. I get there and it's readily apparent this guy builds expensive wheelsets, as well as expensive custom bikes for customers as well. After talking with him a while, it became obvious to me that this guy wasn't stoked on building a custom wheelset for under $1k, which is quite a bit more than I want to spend.

He did, however, have a new take-off wheelset from a RM PowerPlay he said he would like to sell. The wheelset has RF AR35 rims, a front Rocky Mountain stock hub, a DT 370 rear hub, Maxxis DHF and Aggressor 27.5x2.50WT tires, and tubes. He was asking $500 for the wheels with the tires left on. Is this a fair price on this set of wheels with tires and spare tubes? I have little doubt that they are a better wheelset than the sunringle Duroc 45's with SRC hubs that are currently on my Timberjack, but I just don't know if the price of $500 is a fair price on stock take-off stuff. Any opinions? Thanks.
Eeeehhhh... It's a 370 hub with pawls that DT only sells to OEM. And mismatched front hub. If it were a 350 hub front and rear, then yes, go for it. But for $500 or even under $1000, you can do a lot better in PB's BuySell. Not saying he's trying to make a quick buck, but he's clearly trying to get rid of this wheelset and make a large profit.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
That's more than it costs to build that set brand new. That's more than you could build that set with nicer arcs, and nicer 350s.

That's a $200 wheelset used, if that.

It sounds like he doesn't want to do business with you, or he's just terrible at doing business.

I charge $100 to build up some Shimanos on wtb rims, or $100 for carbon on King hubs. All the same to me.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eeeehhhh... It's a 370 hub with pawls that DT only sells to OEM. And mismatched front hub. If it were a 350 hub front and rear, then yes, go for it. But for $500 or even under $1000, you can do a lot better in PB's BuySell. Not saying he's trying to make a quick buck, but he's clearly trying to get rid of this wheelset.
Yeah, he's got like 6 sets of new bike take-offs hanging on the wall, so I'm sure he wants to get rid of them. However, he didn't seem too awful eager to get rid of them. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yeah, he's got like 6 sets of new bike take-offs hanging on the wall, so I'm sure he wants to get rid of them. However, he didn't seem too awful eager to get rid of them. Thanks for the input.
Maybe that's why he's overcharging? Check out Pinkbike's BuySell if you haven't already. There are a lot of good deals to be had on there.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's more than it costs to build that set brand new. That's more than you could build that set with nicer arcs, and nicer 350s.

That's a $200 wheelset used, if that.

It sounds like he doesn't want to do business with you, or he's just terrible at doing business.

I charge $100 to build up some Shimanos on wtb rims, or $100 for carbon on King hubs. All the same to me.
Really? I'm seeing +/-$200 for two ARC 35 rims, +/-$261 for a 350 rear boost hub with an HG driver body, and +/- $100 for the 350 front hub on worldwidecyclery.com. That's $561 for the set, and I haven't even got spokes, stems, tape, or tires included in that, not to mention the additional $100 in labor for the build. So throw in another $150 for tires if you can find them on sale, $50 for spokes, stems, and tape (just a guess), and another $100 of labor for the build and I'm coming up with +/-$861 for the ARC35/DT350 built set.

I'm no expert on custom wheel builds or anything, but I'm not seeing where somebody is saving $361+ on a set of +/-$861 wheels. Not trying to be a dick, but I just don't see how it's possible unless somebody is ordering hubs and rims in some serious bulk quantities.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any concerns with running 27.5x2.5 on the timberjack, as they are smaller wheel+tire combo than 27.5x2.8?
Yeah, but my plan was to switch my 2.8" tires over to the new wheelset when I took out the tubes and set them up tubeless. As far as the 2.5" tires that come on the wheelset, I was planning on either trying to sell them or possibly keep them around for a future FS bike that I may or may not be getting at some point.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,207 Posts
My concern would be the 370 hub. Unless things have changed, it's heavy with a low POE (24 IIRC) and pawls instead of the star ratchet so not easy to upgrade. Someone chime in if this isn't the case. I never can find anything on DT's website.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Really? I'm seeing +/-$200 for two ARC 35 rims, +/-$261 for a 350 rear boost hub with an HG driver body, and +/- $100 for the 350 front hub on worldwidecyclery.com. That's $561 for the set, and I haven't even got spokes, stems, tape, or tires included in that, not to mention the additional $100 in labor for the build. So throw in another $150 for tires if you can find them on sale, $50 for spokes, stems, and tape (just a guess), and another $100 of labor for the build and I'm coming up with +/-$861 for the ARC35/DT350 built set.

I'm no expert on custom wheel builds or anything, but I'm not seeing where somebody is saving $361+ on a set of +/-$861 wheels. Not trying to be a dick, but I just don't see how it's possible unless somebody is ordering hubs and rims in some serious bulk quantities.
Summit bikes has them for 75 each! Keep hunting for deals on 350s, you can score them under 300 a set. If you reaaaallly hunt, 250. I've seen rears as low as $130 last year.

Arc27's are 45 bucks at CRC. Smaller, but it's viable.

Just saying, stepping down to AR's and 370s, used, is a biiig step down.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the insight guys. I thought it over last night and decided to pass on the wheel set. They're not exactly what I was looking for, and I thought the price the guy wanted was high, so I'm going to keep looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.