Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 1up rack, and I've never had any issues getting loose on my Mazda3.

I came across a couple of threads yesterday (older threads btw) that said, the rack gets loose only w/the 2'' adapter?

My hitch arrives today for the Tacoma, do I have anything to worry about??

This the hitch I got:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/Draw~Tite/75238.html

Thanks for any feedback. Love my truck!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 up

Your Tacoma came without a factory 2" hitch? I've had 6 starting in 1983, none of them ever did not have a factory hitch. The hitch shown should work just fine.
I've driven my truck with a 2" hitch for over a year with the 1 UP rack (2 bike) without any problems what so ever! I'm going to install 2 new add ons and quick pull this evening, making it a 4 bike carrier. If I have any difficulties I'll let you know.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your Tacoma came without a factory 2" hitch? I've had 6 starting in 1983, none of them ever did not have a factory hitch. The hitch shown should work just fine.
Not factory, it was through etrailer. I couldn't talk the dealer into giving me one lol

I've driven my truck with a 2" hitch for over a year with the 1 UP rack (2 bike) without any problems what so ever! I'm going to install 2 new add ons and quick pull this evening, making it a 4 bike carrier. If I have any difficulties I'll let you know.
Cool, thanks! I only carry one bike (I might get a tailgate pad for when I ride with others and have to drive).

But great news the 2'' adapter is not giving you any trouble.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,631 Posts
I switch my 1up between my Prius with a 1-1/4" hitch and my Tundra with a 2" hitch. Works fine on both and I've never had an issue w/ the adapter.

I dig the 1up. So easy to use. Over about 5 years of use, I've had one bolt vibrate off and get lost and the expander ball thingy broke and fell out earlier this year. A quick call to 1up and they sent me replacements at no charge.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I switch my 1up between my Prius with a 1-1/4" hitch and my Tundra with a 2" hitch. Works fine on both and I've never had an issue w/ the adapter.

I dig the 1up. So easy to use. Over about 5 years of use, I've had one bolt vibrate off and get lost and the expander ball thingy broke and fell out earlier this year. A quick call to 1up and they sent me replacements at no charge.
Sweet! Thanks baker, exactly what I will be doing between the Mazda and the Taco. My girlfriend will drive the truck from time to time, so I will be switching as well.

·
Hi There!
1,666 Posts
I'm using the 2" adapter on my Outback since 2013, never an issue...except once in a blue moon the adapter itself will get a little loose so check that once a while before you put the rack in the receiver.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I had it loosen up on me twice when using the 2" adapter. This was with 2 bikes on it, a couple hundred miles of freeway, and maybe 20 miles of bumpy dirt road. It didn't slide out or anything, it was still relatively tight, but I was able to tighten the bolt up a couple of turns. It has never come loose in my 1.25" hitch. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys^^ Yeah, I'm very meticulous about checking it even on my Mazda3.

For future reference: etrailer sent me a defective hitch receiver, but they have been pretty good about it. They just shipped me a new on today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.