Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
That looks awesome!

Jeff - Crows nest never got opened. Partway through construction some kids jumped the fence, rode the jumps, got hurt, parents sued, and halted all progress. Real bummer for those involved and all of the volunteers who put in work. There was a thread on here about it with links to the lawsuit. Shame.

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are some quality trails very close to that park, south of the Sweetwater resv. And the regional park right there by where the bike park's being built is a great place to picnic or camp.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Serious question.
How could an 1.8m park open without a plan for the 10k of yearly maintenance not already be written in stone somewhere?

No one involved in public planning would ever overlook something like year over year maintenance costs.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,934 Posts
If you are relying on a news blurb for factual and complete information, then you are misinformed. There is a budget by the county to cover the actual cost of the maintenance, including staff time, which is more than just the $10k. As part of the agreement to get it off the ground, community buy in was required. The $10K is covered by SDMBA. Between a future digital donation station that will be installed on site (the park entrance is still free) and grants, we have it budgeted and covered. This falls within our mission of maintaining and improving sustainable trail access for mountain biking.

If you didn't get a chance to check out the park on opening day, it is open every day 9:30 to sunset. Only variable will be inclement weather. In that situation, the rangers will keep the park closed 3-5 days depending on the amount of rain and drying time needed. That pump track kicked my ass yesterday. 2 laps was the most I could do at one time before resting....

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you are relying on a news blurb for factual and complete information, then you are misinformed. There is a budget by the county to cover the actual cost of the maintenance, including staff time, which is more than just the $10k. As part of the agreement to get it off the ground, community buy in was required. The $10K is covered by SDMBA. Between a future digital donation station that will be installed on site (the park entrance is still free) and grants, we have it budgeted and covered. This falls within our mission of maintaining and improving sustainable trail access for mountain biking.

If you didn't get a chance to check out the park on opening day, it is open every day 9:30 to sunset. Only variable will be inclement weather. In that situation, the rangers will keep the park closed 3-5 days depending on the amount of rain and drying time needed. That pump track kicked my ass yesterday. 2 laps was the most I could do at one time before resting....
By all means, it's a great success to have built, congratulations.

However, there should be more details shared. How many years does the 10k need to be provided. What does the 10k go to. What is the fallout if the 10k is not paid.

I ask these as a person who donated to a past bike park project that was abruptly ended, with no explanation to donors on why past "there was a lawsuit filed" and a bunch of badmouthing a kid and his family but with no explanation of where the donations ever went and why.

Good job and good luck.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
Yeah, I discovered real quick that a long travel 29er with DH tires isn't ideal for smoothed and packed park dirt. Fun, but exhausting trying to keep the bike rolling.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,934 Posts
By all means, it's a great success to have built, congratulations.

However, there should be more details shared. How many years does the 10k need to be provided. What does the 10k go to. What is the fallout if the 10k is not paid.
The $10K will be an on-going contribution to help fund a part time staff person who is fully committed to the maintenance and up-keep of the bike park. It is intended to keep the park in top condition at all times and remove the users who are not authorized to be there, be it skateboarders (yep, even in the dirt), users when the park is closed, and during wet conditions.

As far as your question what happens if the money is not raised or provided - It would be a bad faith move on our part. The park is a great example of what can be accomplished when everyone steps up and takes ownership. Why would you screw yourself over in the short term (lose the park staff) and the long term (lose the trust build up with the county and other observing parties)?

We run an annual budget and this is only one small part of that budget. If you are interested in the annual reports of the San Diego Mountain Biking Association, you can view it HERE. It has some high level views of finances to help the public better understand what we do as an association with our time and funds. Our 2019 report is not complete yet so it is not available.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.