Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an old bike (MMR - year 2000, Cr-Mo frame, Ritchey rigid fork – see picture) and I’m installing an electric kit on it (for city use, mostly).

One other thing I want to do is get a new suspension fork (a Rockshox XC30, for instance – $140 in Amazon). When I started taking apart my fork and removed the handlebar and the stem, I noticed that my steerer tube is threaded and the frame may be too narrow to accommodate a newer model (it may be one of the older 1” tubes, hopefully not :-/).

I measured the tube diameter and it’s approximately 28 millimeters, which I guess is close to 1 1/8 inches (2,8575 mm), so maybe I’m in luck.

So, for those of you with experience with older bikes, please look at the attached picture and tell me if I can go ahead and order the XC30 or if I’m stuck with my old fork.

THANKS A BUNCH,

Alex
Spain

Horquilla Ritchey.jpg

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
We can't go on an image without a size reference, in which case you would not need our opinion!

I presume you used something of a known size, like a 28mm seatpost clamp?

At any rate, 28mm is about 1.102", so if you are certain the steerer is at least slightly larger and not slightly smaller than the known 28mm, then you are ok~ 1 1/8 is 1.125

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I know you can't tell the size of the steerer just by looking at the picture! :-D

What I meant is: anybody know what kind of fork it is? (based on the year and the picture) and Is that kind of fork compatible with the current kind? Someone just told me it is probably an "A-head" type, which (thankfully) has the same diameter and is replaceable by a new Rockshox (non-tapered, obviously).

Thanks again.

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are 3 more pictures to get a better idea of the kind of fork I have (including the diameter).

Even though the steerer tube is threaded, I get the impression that to remove the fork I just need to hit the steerer with a rubber mallet, right? :D

Horquilla Ritchey 01b.jpg
Horquilla Ritchey 02.jpg
Horquilla Ritchey 03.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts