Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new on the sight and i need help with a major indecision on what size of frame of the new superlight to buy.
Im 6'1 and around 190 pounds (with an inside leg of around 33"). I want the bikes for local woodsy rides and long all day epics. I will probably get a 120mm forks and get riser bars to help raise the front end as i want a slacker more comfortable setup.
From the website it says at 6'1 im bang between a large and an extra large. Dont want the bike to feel cramp but at same time still want to keep it sharp and dont want to be riding a bike that fine for much bigger guys (like 6'5)

Please help!!! Any advice on any of the above would be great!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm confident that a large would be perfect for you. I'm 6' and recently purchased a large Superlight, it fits me nicely so long as I use an in-line seatpost. The cockpit is quite rangey, and I'm pretty lanky (long arms and legs!). If you needed more reach (very unlikely IMO) then just use a layback post - I actually took my layback post off as it was too much of a stretch for me. Remember, the Superlight has a pretty aggressive, "race-y" riding position so tends to feel this way by design. Obviously, you should do your best to try one, but if I were you, and from what you've said, I would definitely go for a large.

Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure you'll love the bike whichever size you opt for!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Mokl.
Just a matter of interest what size of forks do you use? I have test ridden a large superlight and found the front end a bit too low putting a bit of pressure on my wrists and thats one of the reasons i wondered about an XL frame because it has a longer head tube and would raise the front end slightly and the guy at the bike shop said i could go for an XL and just put a shorter stem on. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm 6'3". I do mostly XC racing and I've been very happy on a Large '07 Superlight. I don't feel cramped at all. The bike hammers on race day but still has excellent trail manners for those all day epics.

My front end is setup with a 100mm fork, an inch of spacers, and a riser bar. This gives me about 1 1/2 inch seat->bar drop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run 100mm Rockshox Reba, but have been considering running it at 120mm. I understand from reading other posts on this subject that the SL works great with 120mm, it's just that I've grown to love the quick, responsive handling with this setup so I'm loathe to mess about with it. I almost certainly will try it in the next few months anyway, as it probably won't feel so very different overall. I run about 1" headset spacers too - this is how it came from the shop and I haven't felt the need to change it!

As I am a little shorther than you I had a similar dilemma between choosing a medium or large frame, but for me overall, I think the large was a good choice for the riding that I do. My friend who is 5'11", and not as long armed as I, can't get comfy on my bike at all. Shame really, as I would love for him to experience the way the bike loves to rip up climbs and annihilate twisty singletrack!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for all the advice guys. I think i will go for the large and mess about with the setup until it feels right. Just a matter of interest though, would there be any disadvantage in going for an XL? Also what size/type of riser bar are you using bobisshort?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You should be OK with that decision. I am 6'2" have an xlite XL and have shortened the stem to 90 mm and swapped out the bars for something a little wider than stock (FSA XC-190 ATB Handlebar 25.4 x 40 x 630mm) which gives a bit more contol. Biggest effect of changes I have made is the wheelset; started with DT Swiss 340 hubs on DT Swiss 4.1 rims, switched over to Industry Nines on DT Swiss XR4.2d rim. Huge difference. If you order the bike with this wheelset it will probably only run an extra few hundred bucks.
What I like most about the bike is how responsive it remains throughout the fit and equipement adjustments I have made; you have nothing to be concerned over with the large...

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
I'm a bit under 6' and I ride a medium, but I have shortish legs. I set it up with a 1.5" riser and a short stem. I also ride a Thomson laidback post. I had guys at two different shops try to sell me different sizes. I finally decided to go with the guy who was my size and told me he rode a medium. The setup is perfect. I wouldn't want any more bike under me, even if it fit. It's nice an light compared to my size and I can throw it around pretty easy!

Based on my experiences, you sound like a large would be perfect.

G

·
Large. I'm 6' and have a SL Large.

Agreed, the OEM setup was just too stretched out and low for me too. I ain't 20 anymore. Shortened the stem from 110mm to 90mm and put 1 1/2 carbon riser bars on. Also running 120mm Rev 426 fork. It's REAL NICE now.

·
Registered
323 Posts
im between 6-2 and 6-3. i ride an xl superlight with a 70mm thomson stem, low rise monkeylite bars, and and almost 2 inches of spacers and it fits me like a glove.

G

·
DaveRE - You can adjust the internal spacer in the OEM Tora 318 Solo Air so it rides at 120mm. Way cheaper. You'll like it, guaranteed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks kerryjchinn but what im doing is putting the kit forks included from old bike onto new superlight and its the 2006 Fox r 100 forks that i have. Dont think they extend to 120??
Ive now ordered my new superlight in large with rp23 shock in anadised blue. Thanks for all the feedback. I think most people have said that large should be best and its always difficult when your in between size but ive come to realise that i cold have gone large or xl and adjusted the bars/stem/seatpost/forks etc accordingly. Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered my superlight in large and waiting for the parts of the old bike to be swapped onto the superlight and the bike shop has been kind enough to lend me a demo superlight in large. Have to say going by the two rides ive done on this that im glad i didnt go for the XL because it definitely feels stretched out enough as it is although it does have a laid back seat post. Coming from a carbon hardtail that's fast as xxxx i have to say im most impressed with the SL on the downhills more so than the climbs feels so stable and great on the corners due to low BB despite the odd pedal clunk that i never got on the hardtail.

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
You've bought the right size frame.
I'd go for 120mm forks. I originally had a F100 up front on mine, felt a bit low a the front and BB. Then I got a talas, just in case I didn't like 120mm all the time. In hindsight though I'd have got a F120, climbs fine even on tight switchbacks at 120mm.
Enjoy your ride.
Here's my baby...

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.