Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Superfly is here, XL at 22.0 lbs

Got most of my modifications done. Might change out the seat for something lighter. I have some Racing Ralphs for races later in the season that should drop some weight. Could go with egg beaters but our team is sponsored by Shimano. I like my 2x9 crank setup although it could be lighter.

Check the previous post for the changes: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=381135

2008 Gary Fisher Superfly

Size XL

Weight as pictured: 22.0 lbs

Fork: Fox F80 RLC G2 Geometry

Headset: Cane Creek ZS-6

Crank: Bontrager Race X-Lite Carbon with Custom Spider 26/38 rings. 175mm

Bottom Bracket: SRAM Blackbox Ceramic

Pedals: Shimano XTR M-970

Front Derailleur: SRAM Force with Custom Pulley wheel

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M-972 Shadow Medium Cage with KCNC alloy pulleys with ceramic bearings

Shifters: Shimano XTR M-970 Triggers

Brakes: Avid Juicy Ulitmates

Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-34

Chain: Shimano XTR 9 speed

Handlebar: Bontrager XXX Lite

Stem: Bontrager Race X-Lite 105 mm

Grips: Fizik Bar Tape

Saddle: Bontrager Race Lite

Seatpost: KCNC Ti Pro Light

Rims: Stans ZTR 355 29er

Hubs: DT 240s with Ceramic Bearings

Spokes: DT Revolution Black

Nipples: DT Alloy Red

Rotors: Stans Aluminum 160mm

Skewers: Edge Titanium

Tires: Kenda Small Block 8 rear, IRC Notos 2.1 Front

Cables: Nokon Red

Ti and Al bolts throughout

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
bikerb,

i also have a set of stans 355's on my kona kula ss. i was thinking of swapping them w/the botragers my superfly came with. i haven't gone thru the weight exercise yet to see the difference, but i suspect there is a slight savings with the 355's. but do you think the 355's are as stiff laterally as the bontragers?

obvioulsly you felt there was upside in going with stans 355's, just want someone to convince me to make the swap.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Looks great but Avid brakes and a Sram der on a Shimano sponsored bike? WUWT?

Just kidding, nice weight and set up!

G

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
You really need to get that fork painted black, with red details of course. ;)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
RockStarRacing said:
nice cranks, who did the custom spider, and id be interested to see the custom wheel for the sram front mech.
Who did the custom Spider? I'd like to know that also as I used to run a 2x9 setup and would consider going back.

Just got my superfly. Pretty much stock, cept' WTB Rocket V ti saddle, and xxxlite riser, crank bros pedals. With tubeless its just under 23 lbs

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
William D said:
bikerb,

i also have a set of stans 355's on my kona kula ss. i was thinking of swapping them w/the botragers my superfly came with. i haven't gone thru the weight exercise yet to see the difference, but i suspect there is a slight savings with the 355's. but do you think the 355's are as stiff laterally as the bontragers?

obvioulsly you felt there was upside in going with stans 355's, just want someone to convince me to make the swap.
It should be more than a slight savings. The I saved around a three quarters of a pound. Given that, they are definitely not as stiff, but I only weigh 150 lbs so its not as big of a deal for me. It also depends on what kind of spokes you are running on it as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RockStarRacing said:
nice cranks, who did the custom spider, and id be interested to see the custom wheel for the sram front mech.
My dad and I made the custom spider ourselves. It took a lot of time on the drill press. We started with this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Azonic-454-crank-spider-5-X-110mm-Bronze_W0QQitemZ320094186395QQihZ011QQcategoryZ56193QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem then machined the interface for the bontrager crank.

For the pulley wheel we took a front derailleur clamp and drilled a hole in in and put a nylon screen door wheel on it. It allowed me to use the Sram Force bottom pull front derailleur.

Attachments

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
SJ9,

Just get some blackspire 26/38 rings for your crank, no need for a customer spider unless there is a specific requirement the blackspire rings don't cover?

G

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
G-Live said:
SJ9,

Just get some blackspire 26/38 rings for your crank, no need for a customer spider unless there is a specific requirement the blackspire rings don't cover?

G
It was more than just the chain rings. The new spider gave a better chain line than using the stock bontrager setup with a 2x9. The 110x74mm BCD is ideal for the rings you would want to use on a 29er and they are easy to come by. 110mm 5 bolt is just a standard road compact setup so they are pretty easy to find, as well as cheaper than the blackspire rings.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
20.100 FR said:
Beautiful setup.

Did you offset the rings, so that the little is in the middle position, and the medium in the big ring position ?
Not really. They way they are without any offset is the ideal chain line. I can use every gear without feeling like I'm cross chained at all. They are probably half-way between the granny and middle for the small ring, and the big ring is probably half-way in between the middle and big ring position on a normal crank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
more on the crank 2X9

bikerb (also known as my son) and I did a lot of thinking on this. I haven't posted my bike, but it's a Large Superfly that weighs 21.3. My crank is a Bonty road triple with the same custom spider. There was no way to run a standard mtb spider on it without hitting the chainstays with the chainrings. The custom spider allowed that for me.

My Q-Factor is as absolutely narrow as possible while allowing me the widest choice of chainrings. The 74mm inner allows me to run 24,26,28, or 30. the 110mm outer allows 34,36,38,39,40,42 all easily obtainable. Optimal chainline to boot.

On a final note, I have an artificial hip so my Q-Factor is very important to me. This setup did the ticket for us to get optimal Q and optimal gearing. As far as I know, I have a narrower Q than JHK, and I know Jeremy is a stickler on Q!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Nice job father and son team. :)

My medium Superfly is still stock, except I changed the saddle (Selle Italia SLR), put ultralight tubes and eggbeater 2Ti pedals. It is still a bit over 23 lbs, but that is OK for me.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
The Blackspires (in 24/36) work well for me on a standard GXP crank. Using the middle ring 80% of the time except for climbing. I have not had any problem with chainline at all. I did have a little rubbing on the big ring with an isis crankset when in the granny. Changed it out to an outboard bearing crank and works great.

Your spider adjustment probably makes it even a bit better. I wonder how easy it would be to make 26/28/36/38/40 tooth rings with a 2 or 3 mm offset to accomplish similar results for standard 4 bolt cranks?

G

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SingingSingleTracker said:
Oooooolaaaalaaaaa that's a nice bike. How much total $$$$ were involved.
Don't really want to think about it...

But I'm a sponsored racer so that helps out a lot.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OK yeah, this was running through my head also :???: You say you didn't run the Eggs because you're Shimano sponsored and yet are running products by both SRAM and AVID that Shimano also has offerings in :???: Would have thought you'd maybe go with the new XTR brakes, cranks and wheels :skep: :???:

BTW super nice and super light bike.
G-Live said:
Looks great but Avid brakes and a Sram der on a Shimano sponsored bike? WUWT?

Just kidding, nice weight and set up!

G

1 - 20 of 29 Posts