Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode a Niner RIP 9 today and Wow! I'm hooked! I'm currently riding a Yeti 575 which I would sell to fund much of the purchase, but $4K for the RIP 9 definitely isn't going to work!

What are the most reasonably priced FS 29'er out there?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
A used one. Seriously, sell the 575, rebuild the hubs you have with 29er rims and transfer every else over to a late-model used 29er frame.

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
The Gary Fisher HiFi, Kona Hei Hei, KHS Flagstaff are all FS 29ers that can be had for about $2000 brand new. With some luck, you might be able to find a used RIP9

·
Registered
485 Posts
seat_boy said:
Second vote for a used bike. I bought a Sugar 293 frame off ebay for $400, added a fork I had with a few other parts, but had to buy new wheels, brakes, and the entire drivetrain. The whole thing still came out to "only" $1000.

Just bought one myself off e-bay for $585 complete shipped.

·
Registered
21 Posts
bsdc said:
The Gary Fisher HiFi, Kona Hei Hei, KHS Flagstaff are all FS 29ers that can be had for about $2000 brand new. With some luck, you might be able to find a used RIP9
Hei Hei 2-9 are $2500 (plus tax), I just got one last week.

Watch Ebay, a Hei Hei 2-9 frame went for $655 last week.

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
torteeya said:
Hei Hei 2-9 are $2500 (pre tax), I just got one last week.

Watch Ebay, a Hei Hei 2-9 frame went for $655 last week.
At that price there is a mid level GF HiFi and the Voodoo Canzo. I don't know what price range the OP is looking for but there are a number of production FS 29ers way under $4000. Of course even greater deals can be had on used bikes if you don't mind going without a warranty.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
The Astrix Monk compares well with the RIP 9. Can be bought new for about $900 for the frame. Really sweet riding frame with 115mm rear squish. Do a search on my name and Monk and you can find lots of info on the evolution of my build over the last 2+ years.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At first I really didn't want to deal with a frame-up build, but now I'm kind of intrigued by the idea...

Other than wheels/fork/frame, are any other components 29'er specific?

Any pointers to good online "bike build" tutorials/threads or recommended books? Never done it before, but I've torn down and put back together dirt bikes so I imagine I can learn how to build a pedal bike...

·
rider
2,356 Posts
rjd said:
Shirly the gears have to be a different ratio too.
Not always, if you are light, strong, crazed or young enough (or any combo thereof) the standard 44/32/22 ft and 11-34t rear can work fine. Especially if multi hour climbs are not part of the picture.

On the flip side, lots of 29er riders have gone down some rather different gearing paths to compensate for the 11.5% bigger wheels. Myself included.

One more thing: stop calling me Shirly!

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Soupboy said:
A used one. Seriously, sell the 575, rebuild the hubs you have with 29er rims and transfer every else over to a late-model used 29er frame.
Good advice. In theory you could just get frame, fork and rims+spokes+rubber swapped and be good to go. To bad it never really works out like that.

The 575 is a pretty popular ride, you should do ok selling the frame and fork.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I owned both a RIP9 and Yeti 575 until about 2 weeks ago. Finally sold the 575 after getting the RIP9 tweaked to my liking (make sure you put a Manitou or WB on the RIP).

In all honesty, if you like the 575 ride, it's going to be hard to beat it for the price. There are a number of bikes I can think of in 29er flavor that would be on par with it, such as Niner, Turner, Lenz, and Ventana (and others). All are going to run $3500+ for a full build and you've got a very limited front fork choice. Note, I said on par...in my experience I've yet to ride a 29er that I would say is hands down better than a 575. Others may differ in their opinion, but I find the 575 to be a very solid all mountain bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...RIP9 and Yeti 575...
What a great combo! Alas keeping both would be pretty hard to justify.

As for stripping the 575 and building a new frame with the parts, I'm thinking I'd do better to sell the Yeti fully set up rather than frame only. No?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
pfb said:
What a great combo! Alas keeping both would be pretty hard to justify.

As for stripping the 575 and building a new frame with the parts, I'm thinking I'd do better to sell the Yeti fully set up rather than frame only. No?
No, not the case. There a folks who buy complete bikes and then strip them out, sell the parts on ebay and make a tidy profit all the time. That is unless you don't like the parts on your 575. But my guess is that you have some nice parts hung on it.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
It's really not that hard, and a great way to learn. I have a copy of "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" which comes in handy. There's a few special tools you need, like a bottom bracket tool and a crank extractor, but mostly it's 4-5-6 mm allen wrenches. Here's my homemade headset press:

A couple bucks at the hardware store, I've used it on many frames.

I wouldn't worry about 29er specific gearing. Then again, when I started riding, 28x28 was the low gear, so anything easier than that is gravy. And I live in Ohio.

Eric

pfb said:
At first I really didn't want to deal with a frame-up build, but now I'm kind of intrigued by the idea...

Other than wheels/fork/frame, are any other components 29'er specific?

Any pointers to good online "bike build" tutorials/threads or recommended books? Never done it before, but I've torn down and put back together dirt bikes so I imagine I can learn how to build a pedal bike...

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 on the Zinn and the Art of MTB Maintenance. Get the book read the parts you need to know as you go along and your set. Just a basic set of allen wrenches and open end wrenches is needed to pretty much build a whole bike.

Also, Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29 is the closest to 2 Gs that i know of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.