Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd start a thread on Schwalbe's new tires.

Basically I've loved HD2 & RR Addix tires' performance but couldn't stop throwing knobs, like many others, as a rear tire. Pro hack: snap a photo of your internal tire serial number pre-installation to get your warranty replacement on the way without removing the tire.

In addition to the knob throwing issue, on my favorite summertime tire, the Rock Razor 29x2.35 SpeedGrip, which no exaggeration made me notably faster than every other tire at this traction level, I would also get punctures right through the center of the tread. This is because of the short center knobs leaving precious little rubber between trail rocks and that thin SnakeSkin carcass.

As far as bone dry hardpack with loose rocks scattered about conditions, traction was great. Sure on steep descents it would get a little squirrelly but overall it hooked up just like an aggressive block style trail tire. That's the magic of Addix imo. Keep in mind that I fully value the speed of the entire ride, not just a small portion. That said, I descend just as fast on my 'faster' rear tires as anything else that exists. Tires are not my personal limitation.

I had settled on the Vittoria E-Agarro over the last year or so as my overall favorite rear tire and it's very very good. I replace them about every 6-8 weeks and buy 2 when they go on sale. They roll well, have good enough traction that it doesn't negatively effect me on any ride, are light at about 950g, and have held up well. If I had any complaints I'd say that I wish they blew up just a bit larger (about 2.27' very broken in). Also they are flimsy and although I rarely puncture them my tire inserts look like they've been chewed by a rabid dog after a few weeks such are the pinch marks at 180#s & 24, then later 25psi.

Anyways, I finally got my hands on the new heavier 'Super Trail' version of the new Rock Razor. My old favorite that 2 summers ago I swore I'd test again if they ever made it stronger. They did!

Enter the Super Trail Rock Razor. I received one today and it weighed 1005 grams. When you consider the shaved knobs this is quite a robust tire. And Schwalbe doesn't use the cheap heavy carcass. If it's heavy, you are getting a strong tire. Let me tell you, the carcass on this tire feels VERY robust. EXO+ easily. Although I'm a bit weight weenie I've discovered that tire weight isn't nearly as important as compound and tread pattern when it comes to rolling resistance.

The new Rock Razor felt (darn) fast on a quick pedal down the street but not ridiculously fast like the old one. The real test is timed on the trails and sorry to say, but I'll have to report back on that in a few days. It measures 2.3'" wide after an hour (edited 2.32" after 2 days). Not sure if with the stiff carcass it'll blow up like old flimsy Schwalbes were notorious for. Hoping the new RR makes it up to 2.35" or so after a couple of days mounted up. I really welcome the new stiffer carcass and I'm hoping I'll quit tearing up inserts so quickly. I reuse my inserts and move new ones to the rear and old ones forward and count nicks using a sharpie. If the number of nicks decreases with this stiffer tire I'll reduce pressure 1 psi at a time and reevaluate insert damage. I believe that lower air pressure rolls faster so I always try and run a bit lower pressure.

Anyone else with new Schwalbe tire experience they can report on here?

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
Never tried the new SuperTrail version, but with the SuperGravity casing it takes some time till its fully stretched.

The older RR was really nice summer trail tire, looking forward to hear your thoughts about the new RockRazor ST version.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First ride on the new Rock Razor was a bust, nothing to do with the tire as my dropper broke.
That said, it's a darn fast, well damped tire. I found it to offer notable if not huge advantages in these regards to my typical E-Agarro. Bit slow to turn in, I guess cause it has a flattish shape. On a large steep g-out I could feel the loss in braking traction but frankly I shouldn't have been braking there anyways. Leaning traction felt great but how much can I learn after 1.5 miles before the bike broke? Not much.
It currently measures 2.344 with 24psi in it so I'd consider the sizing very accurate.
I'll report back more when I get some real proper time on it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I swear I can hardly get a full ride in without something breaking (cassette this time) but I did get a solid 7 miles in on some trails I particularly like, a trail called Texas Pride being the crown jewel of this spot, so fun!
Anyways, I really like the Super Trail Rock Razor as a rear tire and if it holds up and doesn't tear knobs, it'll likely be my new favorite for dry hardpack with rocks sprinkled on top, which are my standard conditions.
Comparing to my old favorite, the E-Agarro, the new Rock Razor feels more damped, less pingy, faster by a decent bit, more locked in when leaned over (had no complaints with the side traction of the E-Agarro, the RR just feels more solid), gives up a bit of braking traction when it gets real steep (don't care) and also gives up a decent bit of absolute climbing traction when it's loose and steep (do care but think I can live with the trade off). The sidewalls feel much more rigid on the RR and I always run inserts front and rear. Point is I might be able to drop 1-3 psi to 22 - 24 psi and gain that climbing traction right back.
One thing I did notice was that the RR is a flat profile tire, and I briefly mounted a flat profile front tire (Martello 2.6) at the same time and this combo really negatively effected how eager the bike was to transition and initiate lean. Didn't like this but a front tire swap corrected this. Two flats don't make a right (or a left) but one in the rear works well.
The tire width seems maxed out at around 2.33" which is fine. This is a good volume for a rear 29" tire imo.
I'll update on long-term wear in a few more weeks.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Super Trail Rock Razor is a darn good tire and truly surprised me today.

I don't ride wet conditions intentionally and would never choose a Rock Razor to do so. It rained this morning, but I thought the trails had dried all up, they hadn't. The Austin Greenbelt can be a bit treacherous when it's wet, damp, or even just really humid after a light rain as the rocks get slippery.

My tires were packing up a decent bit at times, my riding buddy mounted 2 Shorty's in fact, and there I was doing everything on the Rock Razor just a bit more delicately than if it was bone dry. Like I would on any tire. And on the climbs, which was the only shortcoming I had experienced with the RR in the dry, in the damp the RR climbing traction was really good.

It kind of blew me away today. Good traction, great rolling, perfect size and weight and construction seems ideal as well. Think I have a new favorite rear tire.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I like semi slick rear tires, but stopped using them for two reasons which I view as insurmountable. 1). They don't just long because there's just no tread on the middle, and 2). The insides of the cornering knobs wear very quickly because the knobs are very exposed and always engaged.

Curious if the Rock Razor will overcome these two issues, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I've been running an ethirteen S/S out back in their enduro casing (about 1015g) which is excellent except the sidewalls are porous. I'll probably try the Rock Razor super trail next.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sold on this tire. I haven't been riding much (multiple bike part failures recently) but it looks totally fresh (I can usually notably hurt a rear tire in a handful of rides) , the traction is darn good (not great), and the low rolling resistance kicks butt.

Unless it starts to toss knobs, I'm sticking with this thing, at least through the hot Summer where pedaling is so darn tough anyways around here and it's bone dry.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Valid question. I do seem to be unusually hard on them even in our rocky terrain. In addition I do replace them when they fall off as I'm pretty picky. Lastly, sometimes they come off a bit soon just because I'm eager to try something else.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is typical of what all my tires do in a handful of rides. Nothing wrong with it yet.
5 rides in, and 2 of those were abbreviated by parts failures.
Once again, not a reflection of the tire. They all do this ime.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Work, weather & breakdowns have conspired to really limit my riding lately to about 1x/ week. However the new Rock Razor is my new favorite rear tire. It's holding up well, and the small trade off in rear braking traction is offset by the significant drop in rolling resistance, for me.

If I was riding in a wetter place, a place with loam, or going on a bike park trip. the Rock Razor would be passable but certainly not a top choice. I should have saved the Pinner I had on the shelf for that instead of selling it for a song.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Work, weather & breakdowns have conspired to really limit my riding lately to about 1x/ week. However the new Rock Razor is my new favorite rear tire. It's holding up well, and the small trade off in rear braking traction is offset by the significant drop in rolling resistance, for me.

If I was riding in a wetter place, a place with loam, or going on a bike park trip. the Rock Razor would be passable but certainly not a top choice. I should have saved the Pinner I had on the shelf for that instead of selling it for a song.
Good feedback. What are you currently running for a front?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good feedback. What are you currently running for a front?
Somehow, even though I'm no Pro at all, I've managed to talk myself in to some free tires here and there. I've been testing a couple of different prototype front tires. I guess I'm on my 4th one in the last year or so.

The most recent versions are by a wide margin my favorite front tire, yet I was asked not to post about them. What I can say is that they have Assagai like traction, but roll MUCH faster. They are also properly sized at an actual 2.48" wide, light at just under about 1K grams. They also continue to perform very well even when they are quite ragged looking.

Not sure what I'll do if I lose my hookup on these. :(

·
Registered
250 Posts
Somehow, even though I'm no Pro at all, I've managed to talk myself in to some free tires here and there. I've been testing a couple of different prototype front tires. I guess I'm on my 4th one in the last year or so.

The most recent versions are by a wide margin my favorite front tire, yet I was asked not to post about them. What I can say is that they have Assagai like traction, but roll MUCH faster. They are also properly sized at an actual 2.48" wide, light at just under about 1K grams. They also continue to perform very well even when they are quite ragged looking.

Not sure what I'll do if I lose my hookup on these. :(
Cruel. ;) Just Cruel ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts

How would you compare it to the E-Agarro you used to recommended for a rear tire?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How would you compare it to the E-Agarro you used to recommended for a rear tire?
Compared to the E-Agarro, the RR seems to have a bit better hook up when leaned, and a bit less on slippery climbs and steep braking descents. The loss of climbing traction bothered me at first but I don't notice much anymore, but it has cost me a handful of slippery/ loose/ steep climbs that I otherwise would have made but instead spun out and had to walk. The key is to use the low rolling resistance of the RR to keep up lots of momentum to make certain you clear everything. The RR has a grippier compound but less aggressive knobs where-as the E-Agarro has less grippy compound but more aggressive knobs. On hard pack the more grippy compound will climb better. On shake the more aggressive knobs will dig in and climb better.

The RR is a sweeter feeling tire in that it's better damped and less 'pingy' feeling off rocks and what not. The E-Agarro was definitely less well damped than the standard Agarro. I suspect that the only difference between the Agarro vs. the E-Agarro is that the E-Agarro gets harder rubber to extend E-bike battery life and tire life.

The RR is a bit more in that sweet spot size wise for a rear 29er at an actual 2.35" where the Agarro was about 2.28". It doesn't sound like much but it's a lot of volume difference.

I didn't have any reliability issues with the E-Agarro (I always run tire inserts) but literally the threads are coming through the sidewalls on those things with some use and they feel very thin, and the RR feels more substantial.

Weight wise the RR was about 1005 grams, I seem to recall the E-Agarro being about 950 grams. Not enough to matter and frankly for only a 55 gram penalty, the RR sidewalls feel a lot more substantial so a good trade off.

Rolling resistance, the E-Agarro was darn good. The RR is better however with even lower rolling resistance. I could tell right away.

The E-Agarro is a rounded tire which I like where-as the RR is a flatish tire due to the shaved knobs and a 28mm rim ID. As long as one of my tires, front or rear has a rounded profile, I feel like my bike initiates turns just fine. But when both tires are flat, the bike feels like a bit of a pig not wanting to turn for me. I stuck a rather flat Martello 2.6 up front recently (an old favorite) and in combination with the RR the bike felt hard to lean over so I removed it after one ride.

The E-Agarros wore well for me and also importantly still had pretty good traction when getting shagged. Mostly I'd notice a loss of climbing traction when the knob edges rounded. Not enough time on the RR's to comment on wear but they are doing well and much better than the old Snakeskin ones.

The Rock Razor is my new dry/ hot weather tire but I might run the standard Agarro or the Hans Dampf2 during the winter season. I REALLY wish they offered the newest HD2 in the 2.35 Speed/ Grip compound, but they don't.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts