Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of cool ideas for some stunts then it came to me. Make a ladder with the rungs screwed in to some flexy plastic pipe. I think it would give you the feel of like those suspended bridges in the jungles that are way off the ground. Now I havent dealt with a lot of pvc or the plasctic piping stuff so would this hold up?

·
Chatham NJ
477 Posts
maybe chains on the side?
playgrounds have floppy bridges like that, I think they use chains, but I could be wrong.
You could put a bolt through the wood and a link in the chain, then a huge nut on the other side

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
PVC can be pretty brittle and i doubt would be strong enough. Chains does sound like a better idea, and easier to bolt to the planks. Cable would be another idea, but probably more expensive.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
LandonVega said:
I was thinking of cool ideas for some stunts then it came to me. Make a ladder with the rungs screwed in to some flexy plastic pipe. I think it would give you the feel of like those suspended bridges in the jungles that are way off the ground. Now I havent dealt with a lot of pvc or the plasctic piping stuff so would this hold up?
One way that I"ve seen it done that seemed to work pretty well was taking 2 full length cables, and a bunch of pieces of pvc in between each rung. (each approx 4-5" in length) strung along the cables alternating from pvc section to rung (which was drilled to allow the cables to pass through each end). Seemed like it would have taken a bit of time to make, but it sure was fun to do. If this doesn't make sense let me know, I can try to explain it better, I'll also try and find a picture if I can. Good luck with however you decide to git 'r' dun, they are fun to ride.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cable and a Drill

Just drill a hole in the bottom side of the 4x4 or log that you are using for the cross member and thread the cable through. If you realy wanted to get fancy, use pvc as a sleeve and old roller skate wheels for spacers.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
We got a damn cool suspension bridge here in maine, the two stringers are heavy duty steel cable that was tightened with come-alongs (sp?). The runs were attached to it with reebar wire (sp again?) The suspended part is about 30ft long with 3 supports, its kinda cool because it has the up-n-down sensation of a rollarcoaster, heres a pic of the second half. The other pic is of the rest of the bridge (thought you might like to see it ;) )

·
Registered
629 Posts
LandonVega said:
Suspended bridges arent too fun, if your going more than 10 miles an hour u dont even notice that its suspended

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a question

How do you build the elevated teters to drop? Well I guess what im asking is how to make the stop. I didnt want to start another thread so i just figured I would put it in here.

·
Registered
962 Posts
?

Im drawing up some prints for my teeter. So far I have a 2' raised ladder running about 5' making a 30deg. turn and hitting a 10' long ladder, then hitting a teeter with a 5' pivot which is about 7' in overall length, and roll right off. My plan is to have the end of the teeter resting on the ladder. Now my question is, how much weight should I counter the raised side of the teeter with? In other words, by how much should weigh the resting side down? Do I need a particular ammound of weight on it as to "totter?" over nice and gently?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.