Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished this frame a month ago but will not be able to build it up for a couple of months when I get back to the states. Thought I'd show the pictures of it anyway. I can get a 2.3 tire in the back and the chain stay length is less than 15". I had to move the seat post to get the tire in that tight. I might be able to squeeze another half inch out of it next time. The frame is powder coated to look like a shop tool. Heavy fillets where used for strength but the frame is still only 4.75 pounds.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Wow!

UnoPete said:
I finished this frame a month ago but will not be able to build it up for a couple of months when I get back to the states. Thought I'd show the pictures of it anyway. I can get a 2.3 tire in the back and the chain stay length is less than 15". I had to move the seat post to get the tire in that tight. I might be able to squeeze another half inch out of it next time. The frame is powder coated to look like a shop tool. Heavy fillets where used for strength but the frame is still only 4.75 pounds.
very creative! I used to have a road frame powdercoated the same. Looked cool.

You're on to something here. Start building frames and sell them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
building frames

ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
very creative! I used to have a road frame powdercoated the same. Looked cool.

You're on to something here. Start building frames and sell them.
The thought has crossed my mind but I can't give up my day job. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Frame looks really good. I am curious to hear how it handles.

I have a few questions about the actual building process.

Did you go to UBI (seems like I remember that is where you made the first jointed frame), and if so, what was your impression of the school?

Do you have a frame jig, and if so, what kind?

Do you prefer brazing over tig for any particular reason? I understand the equipment is cheaper so brazing seems like a good option for the home builder, but just wondering.

Thanks for the info,

LP

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
it's a lovely construction, but 15in stays? lordy.

I'm moving towards lengthening the rear stays on our new frames - maybe back to good old 17in long.

Reasons? I find that they climb much better with todays longer suspension forks whilst keeping a traditional seating position.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lanpope said:
Frame looks really good. I am curious to hear how it handles.

I have a few questions about the actual building process.

Did you go to UBI (seems like I remember that is where you made the first jointed frame), and if so, what was your impression of the school?

Do you have a frame jig, and if so, what kind?

Do you prefer brazing over tig for any particular reason? I understand the equipment is cheaper so brazing seems like a good option for the home builder, but just wondering.

Thanks for the info,

LP
I did go to UBI and thought it was great. I haven't been willing to shell out for a tig welder or for an expensive jig so I build my own jig and braze the frame. I like the look of it better anyway and it's just as strong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
short stay for climbing

it's a lovely construction, but 15in stays? lordy.

I'm moving towards lengthening the rear stays on our new frames - maybe back to good old 17in long.

Reasons? I find that they climb much better with todays longer suspension forks whilst keeping a traditional seating position.
I find I'm always climbing out of the saddle so on loose rock or dust the rear wheel tends to spin. I shortened up the stays on my last bike and it help a lot on the climbing so I went further on this frame. I'll post again after I build it up and take it for a few rides.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have to wait for the ruler

singletrack said:
Yeah, I have a hard time believing those stays are 15". Take a pic with a ruler. If you would.
The ruler will have to wait for a couple of months. The frame is in CA and I'm in Japan. I'll be happy to put a ruler up to it when I get back though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like it

Weird, but I've kicking the same design idea around in my head recently.
What are the specs? Did you use a more relaxed actual ST angle to arrive at a more traditional 'relative' ST angle? I would think that, along with maybe a shorter seat tube cluster/longer seat post, it might result in a slightly smoother ride in the saddle. Would love to hear how it rides once you get it built up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
short is righ eh!

Wow, that is a hella cool/creative way to shoten up them stays. I too am a big fam of shorties. My current rig has 16" and they are perfect for me. I totally concur on the climbing advantages of shorties. Longer stas are fine when the climbing is smooth, but when it becomes twisty or the switchbacks are tight steep and rocky the shorties really SShine...the rear tire is always close and gets through/by the obstacle with ease. I think this is more imortant on an SS, cuz at slow speeds in the uphill tech you need to employ body english, positive power transfer, pedal-kiks etc. etc. a bit more than you would while in granny and the shorties really enable the 'dart' like burSSt that can get you through the rough stuff...

have fun

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
seat tube not that much off

jbmoocow said:
Weird, but I've kicking the same design idea around in my head recently.
What are the specs? Did you use a more relaxed actual ST angle to arrive at a more traditional 'relative' ST angle? I would think that, along with maybe a shorter seat tube cluster/longer seat post, it might result in a slightly smoother ride in the saddle. Would love to hear how it rides once you get it built up.
The seat tub is only 2 degrees off so not much difference on the angle there. I'll give a ride report once it's all together.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
web site

dsb1829 said:
Very nice. I was wondering if those dropouts were ever going to make it onto a project.

Do you have a webpage that details any of the construction?
I've got some pictures but they haven't made it on to the web site yet. Trying to find the time.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Brilliant!

This is a great innovation. Developments like this are especially needed in the 29" world, where it's hard to get the stays as short as we SSers would like. Surly's bent seat tube design works great too, but this is a more elegant solution. Way to go.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Did you think about adding an extra bit of seat tube from the BB shell up a few inches to the actual seat tube? A small piece like that would help to constrain the BB shell in something closer to 2 axis, taking some of the burdon off of the downtube. 'll probably add some life span to the frame. And wouldn't hurt tire clearance.

Just a constructive criticism; I hope it works great for you. Let us know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.