Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Action Sports Trader
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I bought a new STP 2, $399, How could I pass that up!!!! That shat is soooooooooo Lite. I think I'm going to change a few things like a 24" rear rim and a 26" up front, with Hayes disc. What is a good front fork for it, under $200 bills please? Pictures will be here on the NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
congrats on the stp.
i would just leave it with a 26 in the back, its not the best bike to be doing that setup with and plus its fine with 26/26. what kind of riding are you going to be doing? if ur doing urban and dirt jumps, you could leave the fork on there, to save weight and plus its not a bad fork. if you wanted to upgrade though, i would stay away from the dirt jumper line. if you want a light bike for urban and whatnot, the newer dirt jumpers kinda heavy for that bike. i had one on mine for a time and it just felt un balanced. a pike is what i would sugjest, its a light, good fork, but not for no 200 dolla. for 200 dolla u could get a stance or something, but then again also ruin your whole bike.

they weigh like 32 pounds i htink.. amazing bikes.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Depends on what kind of riding you want to do. the marzocchi dj forks are alright, try to get a used dj 1 or 2. I have a stance static on my P.1. its a little heavy but not bad. you can get the stance with 20mm TA and 80mm travel from www.unrealcycles.com for like $189.00 I think.

·
East Coast Style
1,373 Posts
eh, youre not gona find many new forks for under 200. id look for a used sherman firefly or maybe some form of a DJ. I run a sherman on my hardtail, feels great. Cant go wrong in my opinion.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
standard235 said:
I thought all Stance forks were poo?
the kingpins and the blunts are. but for some reason there are less problems with the flow and static's. there isnt much to go wrong with mine though. its just coil. no rebound or anything. I guess thats what happens when you buy a Specialized bike, they cheap out on everything.

I rode the stance really hard last season ( will in the 2006 season too ) its held its own, really !. I have a kingpin. I only have the kingpin because I got it for $25.00. is it worth 25 bucks ? I dought it. but I would easily go for a static for even 200 bucks.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
yeahhhhhhh more STPs!

congrats man. you definitely wanna keep it 26 in the back though 24 will kill everything that is beautiful about the STP. the stays are short enough to get the bike back with out any problems too so yeah. with the 24 you'll be looping like none other. for a fork id suggest a pike if you can swing it. if not just find something not too heavy, as kevin said the DJs are pretty heavy so yeah maybe wanna shy away from them. maybe an older z1 or soemthing, thats what i was rockin before my pike. definitely keep it under 130mm though. more then that and it'll get wayyyyy raked. congrats again!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
zerossix said:
yeahhhhhhh more STPs!

congrats man. you definitely wanna keep it 26 in the back though 24 will kill everything that is beautiful about the STP. the stays are short enough to get the bike back with out any problems too so yeah. with the 24 you'll be looping like none other. for a fork id suggest a pike if you can swing it. if not just find something not too heavy, as kevin said the DJs are pretty heavy so yeah maybe wanna shy away from them. maybe an older z1 or soemthing, thats what i was rockin before my pike. definitely keep it under 130mm though. more then that and it'll get wayyyyy raked. congrats again!
yeah, i just got a 120mm fork on mine just for the matters of actually having dampening.. but yeah its pretty raked with 120, i might lower it to 110 or 100. dont get a dj, its got a heavy feel to it, i would sugjest something from rockshox as they make very light forks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
samanderson4 said:
OK,

I bought a new STP 2, $399, How could I pass that up!!!! That shat is soooooooooo Lite. I think I'm going to change a few things like a 24" rear rim and a 26" up front, with Hayes disc. What is a good front fork for it, under $200 bills please? Pictures will be here on the NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
same here... bought a 2004 STP2 for $349 at the LBS a few months ago. at stock, it weighs in at about 25lbs. and like u, been thinkin about replacing the vbrakes with disc rims.

great bike. ride it every chance i get.

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
Ya, I want to get a new fork eventually for my STP. I was thinking a Pike, maybe you could look into those too, I've heard pretty good things.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
if his bike looks like that then I wouldn't change anything but the fork

sittingduck said:
Keep the 26 in the back. Go rigid if you only have $200, or keep the fork you have if you are a lightweight. Anything you get for cheap is going to be just that.... CHEAP.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
sittingduck said:
Keep the 26 in the back. Go rigid if you only have $200, or keep the fork you have if you are a lightweight. Anything you get for cheap is going to be just that.... CHEAP.
thats not really true, i bought my stp1 for 350 bucks and its awsome. and regarding the 24 in the back, if u run a 24 u will have to run a really skinny tire becasue the frame is yoked for tire clearence for a 26 inch wheel.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.