Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
I've been stem shopping for a few weeks. The best bang for the buck is the Ibis 3D forged stem, available on their website. It's light and affordable, with a proven durability record. The Sette Evo stem is just as light, 1/2 the price, but with an unknown reliability record.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My aluminum Bontrager stem that cost me <$30 is just as light as both of those (100mm). A stem is one area you won't save any weight by going with CF, you'll just spend extra money for the CF look (which I admit, is pretty awesome and I would really like a Ritchey WCS stem because IMO, it's the best looking stem out there).

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have used a Specialized FACT carbon road stem on my mountain bike for quite a long time with great results. Mine is 100mm with ~8* rise. I was always weary of carbon stems, but this one has been really great. However...they don't make it anymore. There were failures with them when they used a magnesium bar clamp...they reacalled them and replaced those with alumnium.

But to continue...I also have a Ritchey 4-axis, and a Syntace F119...both non carbon...and they are significantly lighter than the Specialized FACT...no scale...just by feel. The Syntace is even lighter than the 4-axis. The specialized does have an original look to it, so I still use it sometimes just for giggles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts