Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you guys changed your stem on 1 bike? This is my second stem and after 3 months I'm thinking it could be a little better. I've played around with the spacers already.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, let me ask you a question. When you're on a mtn bike or any bike for that matter, shouldn't you feel 100% comfortable when your hunched over with your hands on the bars?? Maybe I'm looking into it too much. Maybe because I'm nearing 40 and don't get a chance to ride as often as I want, has me second guessing myself with the feel. Is it possible that it's impossible to find perfection when riding?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
People are trying to help you.......

What do you want to accomplish?

For instance, I changed stems 3 times on one of my bikes before I got it handling the way it should.

Handling, comfort, control....?????

Drew

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the help. I feel like I'm not sure where I need the handlebars to be. Right noe the handlebars are level maybe a hair below seat level. Should I lower the bars a little more for better handling? I ride city streets and off road. I'm also experiencing slight lower back soreness and I'm not sure if I'm too stretched out.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
They should be very comfortable that high up. Nothing wrong with that height BTW. If you are really tall like me you can easily run bars 3 or 4 inches below the seat height. My 29er has a 2" drop, the 26er a little over 3". You may have a stem that is slightly long but then it also could be low back fatigue, or not. I was doing the superman thing for a bit and it didn't bother me at all.

I also had a horribly bad back for 2 decades off and on. When I returned to this sport my back gave me a lot of grief for a few seasons. Unbelievably, I pinpointed the bad muscle group from reading at MTBR and my back has been fine for two years now and counting. I'm 46.

You should post a picture of you on your rig from the side. People will know right away if your fit is good.

Drew

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now if I drop the handlebars a little more, would that cause more lower back pain?
If I averaged twice a week rides, I think my body would be more flexible, but what do you think about dropping the bars a little more?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shark said:
If you have a decent LBS, getting a proper bike fit might help.

Also, regular stretching can help with soreness.
I have a good LBS i can go to for a fitting but i don't want to pay 150-200 bucks so they can move my seat a 1/4 inch and remove a spacer. i don't know is it that exact that they can work some math and adjust it?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Try screwing with stuff. Move your seat forward if you want. Try one more (or less) spacers. etc. Ride more.

It's your bike.

I can tell you that I'm usually sore after going at it for 2 hours or so. I'm in shape and decently fast, so the soreness is just a fact of riding.

If I go for a 3 hour road ride on either of my MTBs I am most definitely sore. Ass, back, neck, hands, wrists etc

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Get a cheap adjustable stem(no crazy riding though) about $30 bucks and play with the angle. Yes you go though a lot of stems till you get it just right. Many bike shops have used beatup stems lying around that they will let you borrow it check for rise angle and reach. A bike fit is way cheaper that 3 Thomson's.....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Or, do what I did. I regularly ride with 3 other guys, who all happen to ride different length/rise stems. I just asked if I could borrow their stems one night, and tried them all out (although only road riding down my street). It saved me a ton of cash, and I was able to figure out what size I needed in 2 hours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.