Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am now the new owner of a 6point6:D , and it is going to be my do it all type bike here in Utah (maybe some super D races mixed in). Before I go all crazy switching things out on the bike I thought I might get you guys advice. Just for reference, I am coming from a XL 2005 titus supermoto with 6.4" of travel, 66 HA, 67 SA, 14" BB, horst link, zocchi roco WC, z1 light. I love the bike and it rips when pointed downhill, but it is overbuilt for long rides (the thing feels unbreakable). I am hoping that the 6 point will descend almost if not better and will be substantially lighter (current setup is 38 lbs). About me, I'm 6'4" and 190-195 with gear. I am far more interested in downhill performance than uphill (although climbing in utah is pretty much a necessity, and some of the climbs are pretty heinous).
So on to the questions:
1. I am skeptical that the DHX air is going to work out for me, but I want to at least try it before I drop the cash to replace it so.......for people that are running the DHX air on their 6point, what are some baseline settings that I can start off with? I have read about the mod to the outer air chamber (filling it with plastic and grease) and I will probably attempt this if I am not initially satisfied with the shock. I really hope I can get the dhx-A to work, because I like the light weight of it....wool see I guess.
2. Just to be prepared if it doesn't work out, what shocks have your guys had good luck with on the 6point? I have read that DW's don't need a lot of compression (so a shock with compression a, am I remembering this right? I was thinking a roco air WC might be a good choice, or maybe a DHX coil with a ti spring (those two choices probably weigh about the same, although the DHX can be pushed). Anyone tried a RS vivid yet? I will probably do the "upgrade" and run a 2.75" stroke to get a little extra travel.

Finally,
3. how heavy is the OEM back wheel of a 6point6? I am planning on swapping out wheelsets, but keeping the OEM wheels as a spare to setup with DH tires and tubes. Any suggestions for a light/strong 150mm rear wheel, for AM type riding? I was thinking a DT 340 with 5.1 rim, but I am open to any suggestions. I wish I could get a hold of the 150mm ex1750 I have seen a lot of you guys running, but no such luck. I9s are a little out of my budget, unfortunately.
I'll post back with pics once I get her built up, maybe with some action shots. I am pretty psyched to be finally getting on the DW train. Now I just hope it lives up to my expectations.:thumbsup:
Thanks in advance for any advice/help.
N

·
Registered
995 Posts
It looks like you made a good choice on the 6 Point. You will like the way is rides both up and down. A riding buddy just switch over to a 6 Point as well and is really liking how plush the bike is compared to his previous bike (7 inch single pivot - he like that as well, but now has something more to compare it to).

I have my 6 point setup with a 66 RC2X and have a couple of shocks to choose from. Right now I have a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 air shock and really like the way this works. Very plush yet does not bog out in the mid-stroke. I also have a Roco Air TST-R again nice feeling shock perhaps a little more plush than the ISX-6.

I like running the air shocks to save some weight and the ease of tuning adding or removing 5-10 psi can change the shocks personality very quickly. More air to firm up for the trail ride, or drop 5-10 and make it super plush for the park days.

I previously rode a Nomad with both the DHX-A and DHX-C. No bashing the Nomad it was also a super fun bike. It rode much better with the DHX-C. To compare how good the DW-Link IH and the ISX/Roco combo is, I would say it equals or is perhaps even better than the Nomad in every aspect of suspension. For pedalling I would also give the edge to the 6-Point.

The DHX-A will work don't get me wrong, but left as stock you will want to drop air for the plushness, yet add more for the mid-stroke support. One other option to try would be to get the small canister for the DHX or add some material to fill the air chamber as done by a few people here on the IH board. From what I have read it seems to make the stock DHX-A work way better on the DW-Link bikes.

Cheers and enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I'll chime in.
I just got a Dt 5.1d/Hope Pro 2 wheelset. Light and strong. Chainreactioncycles.com has a wheel-builder kit that is pretty cheap.
I have a 07' 66RC2X up front. Thinking of putting a lyric solo air and an "externalizer" headset extender to lighten it by a bit.

Have a Roco TST with Ti coil @ 2.75" stroke. I likes it but would probably get the world cup instead next time.
I performed the DHX-A volume mod on my stock shock and it works pretty well I must say. I am not too picky though but I know when it's not working to my liking. I have been using this shock for a month now.

My next upgrade will be a Gravity light crankset.
I don't know the weight of the factory wheels. I have 6.1d's as backups.
Hope hubs are lighter than dt340's.
I have heard positive reviews of the Vivid.
I also heard the ex1750 uses 5.1d rims.
Roco WC can be PUSH'd as well as the DHX-C Not DHX-A.

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the advice....keep it coming.:thumbsup:
Rideitall:
Don't let the SC guys hear you say that about the nomad, hahaha. j/k I have a buddy who had a nomad who had a similar experience. he got a coil and was much happier. I'm glad to hear the 6point is in good company with respect to the nomad. Good to hear that the roco air works well with the 6point, it is definitely on the shortlist if I can't get the dhx-a sussed out.

wormvine said:
I'll chime in.
I have a 07' 66RC2X up front. Thinking of putting a lyric solo air and an "externalizer" headset extender to lighten it by a bit.
I just bought a totem coil that is going to go on for lift/shuttle runs:D . I think it should work out well, a 67 HA should be perfect. The question is whether to keep the lyrik or the 2006 z1 light. I really love the way the z1 feels (it's broken in and buttery smooth), it is also highly capable and reliable, so I am hesitant to let it go. I only have time on a lyrik coil that was oversprung for me, it felt good, but I never could give it a fair shot. I figure I will try the solo air that comes on the 6point and then decide, loser goes to the classifieds.

wormvine said:
Have a Roco TST with Ti coil @ 2.75" stroke. I likes it but would probably get the world cup instead next time.
I performed the DHX-A volume mod on my stock shock and it works pretty well I must say. I am not too picky though but I know when it's not working to my liking. I have been using this shock for a month now.
It's too bad my roco wc is the wrong i2i for the 6point, otherwise I'd give it a go, that shock rules IMHO, although it is an anchor. So you did the "shim" mod to the outer chamber? Can you get a rp3 canister to fit the 8.75 i2i dhx-a? Just out of curiosity, how much do you weigh, and how much did you shim?

wormvine said:
My next upgrade will be a Gravity light crankset.
I've got a set of these, just in the wrong bb size :madman:. I might see if a shop around town will switch them out for me, they are really, really nice looking cranks.
I've had good luck with the hope proII's too....perhaps I'll go that way. What's not to like about cheap and light?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
mr. welcorn said:
Thanks for all the advice....keep it coming.:thumbsup:
Rideitall:
Don't let the SC guys hear you say that about the nomad, hahaha. j/k I have a buddy who had a nomad who had a similar experience. he got a coil and was much happier. I'm glad to hear the 6point is in good company with respect to the nomad. Good to hear that the roco air works well with the 6point, it is definitely on the shortlist if I can't get the dhx-a sussed out.

I just bought a totem coil that is going to go on for lift/shuttle runs:D . I think it should work out well, a 67 HA should be perfect. The question is whether to keep the lyrik or the 2006 z1 light. I really love the way the z1 feels (it's broken in and buttery smooth), it is also highly capable and reliable, so I am hesitant to let it go. I only have time on a lyrik coil that was oversprung for me, it felt good, but I never could give it a fair shot. I figure I will try the solo air that comes on the 6point and then decide, loser goes to the classifieds.

It's too bad my roco wc is the wrong i2i for the 6point, otherwise I'd give it a go, that shock rules IMHO, although it is an anchor. So you did the "shim" mod to the outer chamber? Can you get a rp3 canister to fit the 8.75 i2i dhx-a? Just out of curiosity, how much do you weigh, and how much did you shim?

I've got a set of these, just in the wrong bb size :madman:. I might see if a shop around town will switch them out for me, they are really, really nice looking cranks.
I've had good luck with the hope proII's too....perhaps I'll go that way. What's not to like about cheap and light?

I do not believe you can use a rp3 canister with the longer i2i. The canister isn't long enough. There needs to be a rp23 with equivalent length. I had no choice but to add the plastic to the outer chamber.
I put the largest plastic shim I could fit. The older threads gave me the measurements. I can't remember right now. I weigh about 190lbs with gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts