Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know you all heard this before but am in a hard situation deciding on what MTB to get (preferably a FS). My budget is roughly 2K - 2.5K. Would like to limit it to around 2K and spend the extra money on helmet, shoes etc etc. What is the best MTB out there bang for your buck?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here are the three bikes that have in mind and having a hard time deciding which one to get.

Gaint Reign 2
Marin 2011 Mount Vision 5.6 EXP
Merida 2011 One-Twenty 800-D

Which one would you guys prefer and why?
Like I said my budget is roughly 2K but can add a little bit more for THE right ride.

I live here in Oz so would prefer to buy it @ a local bike shop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Merida is a single pivot suspension. Avoid it with that much travel, because every time suspension moves you will feel it in your legs. Braking and accelerating will also effect in suspension movement. Fully independent suspension is a holy grail of bike design, but both Giant and Marin are much closer. Go for test ride on both, and choose one that feels better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rekrutacja said:
Merida is a single pivot suspension. Avoid it with that much travel, because every time suspension moves you will feel it in your legs. Braking and accelerating will also effect in suspension movement. Fully independent suspension is a holy grail of bike design, but both Giant and Marin are much closer. Go for test ride on both, and choose one that feels better.
Thanks! What about Avanti?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Avanti looks like classic Horst link design (which is a good thing), very similar to Specialized bikes. I do not know this brand, just looked at photos, but you do not want to choose the bike by reading about it anyway. It is crucial to go and ride a bike before you buy it. You need to like it :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rekrutacja said:
Avanti looks like classic Horst link design (which is a good thing), very similar to Specialized bikes. I do not know this brand, just looked at photos, but you do not want to choose the bike by reading about it anyway. It is crucial to go and ride a bike before you buy it. You need to like it :)
Thanks Mate :)

·
RBSBiking
21 Posts
rekrutacja said:
Maybe in general Merida makes uses a single pivot linkage but that specific bike hes talking about uses a Four bar linkage.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
rekrutacja said:
Merida is a single pivot suspension. Avoid it with that much travel, because every time suspension moves you will feel it in your legs. Braking and accelerating will also effect in suspension movement.
This is pretty bad advice, sorry. It's only a 120mm bike and single pivot designs are employed quite successfully on bikes including 8" travel DH bikes and XC race bikes. My single pivot linkage driven bike (which is what the Merida is) with 7" of travel climbs fantastically and you add in the lockout on that bike being very rigid (if the specs I found are correct) and you'll probably find it is a worthy contender in your list.

All of that aside, you need to test ride those bikes and get the one that fits the best and is the most enjoyable to ride. All the part comparisons in the world can't make up for a frame that you don't feel comfortable riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.