Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to this site, I have posted a question or two before. However, I just finished building (actually resurrecting an old Trek 830, given to me by a buddy) my first SS and took it for a couple of rides. I love it, I am hooked.

I built it with the advice given to other posters, the FAQ and spare parts. I have updated most of the parts and have raided the used bins in the shop for others. I now have a decent ss with a old, ugly and beaten frame. I am just about tapped out for this project.

My question is this: has anybody successfully re-painted a frame themselves?

I have tried to call local body shops with NO takers as of yet and a place like Cycle Art is not only far beyond the budget, but the quality of the frame. I will probably ride it until I can afford to replace it.

Suggestions??

FYI my Specs:
Trek 830 Antelope (1991 vintage) Hideous Yellow with black splatter
stock Araya Rims w/ Panaracer XC Fire Pros
Forte V-Brakes and levers
Manitou Splice Comp Fork
Deore Crankset 32/17
Forte Stem w/ Easton Riser Bar
SPD Pedals

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have a ...

friend that painted his old beater up. He just scuffed it really good and hit it with a nice flat black paint. Its a very cool, simple paint job.

MC

chrispf007 said:
I am fairly new to this site, I have posted a question or two before. However, I just finished building (actually resurrecting an old Trek 830, given to me by a buddy) my first SS and took it for a couple of rides. I love it, I am hooked.

I built it with the advice given to other posters, the FAQ and spare parts. I have updated most of the parts and have raided the used bins in the shop for others. I now have a decent ss with a old, ugly and beaten frame. I am just about tapped out for this project.

I have tried to call local body shops with NO takers as of yet and a place like Cycle Art is not only far beyond the budget, but the quality of the frame. I will probably ride it until I can afford to replace it.

Suggestions??

FYI my Specs:
Trek 830 Antelope (1991 vintage) Hideous Yellow with black splatter
stock Araya Rims w/ Panaracer XC Fire Pros
Forte V-Brakes and levers
Manitou Splice Comp Fork
Deore Crankset 32/17
Forte Stem w/ Easton Riser Bar
SPD Pedals

·
Registered
18,598 Posts
Sure, I've done a couple of old frames. If you don't need a show-like finish then a $4 rattle-can will work. Take off all the parts, mask all the threads plus contact surfaces, then spray away.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
chrispf007 said:
I tried. But failed miserably. It was a Trek 950 lugged steel frame and fork. Sanded them down, applied a motherload of primer, then a motherload of spray paint. The thing still chipped if I sneezed a bit too hard.

Eventually found an affordable powdercoater and went that route. The thing's bloody bombproof now.

·
Registered
696 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
I tried. But failed miserably. It was a Trek 950 lugged steel frame and fork. Sanded them down, applied a motherload of primer, then a motherload of spray paint. The thing still chipped if I sneezed a bit too hard.

Eventually found an affordable powdercoater and went that route. The thing's bloody bombproof now.
The problem ma be that you applied a 'motherload' of paint. Often, thicker paint tends to chip easier. Just do 1 good coat of primer and 1-2 good coats of your top coat next time. It should work better and still only cost $4.

Ian

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Use several very light coats -- as in whatever is underneath should still show through slightly after the first 2-3. The thinner the coats and the more time you allow each to dry before the next, the better the result. It will also take several weeks for the paint to cure completely. With enough patience, a rattle-can job can look good and be reasonably durable

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Nat said:
Sure, I've done a couple of old frames. If you don't need a show-like finish then a $4 rattle-can will work. Take off all the parts, mask all the threads plus contact surfaces, then spray away.
I did it on my first SS convertion, the color didn't last long because I chose the wrong kind of paint and left it on the roof rack a whole weekend and the sun ruined the paint.

It's a long and tedious process but good results can be achieved cheaply.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Keep it the way it is---

If the "hideous yellow color" is in nice shape and not totally trashed, don't paint over it. That bike is VINTAGE and totally unique--keep it the way it is, as it will be much "cooler" that way.
My .02

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pinkdirt said:
If the "hideous yellow color" is in nice shape and not totally trashed, don't paint over it. That bike is VINTAGE and totally unique--keep it the way it is, as it will be much "cooler" that way.
My .02
pinkdirt, I too thought this, but the decals are hardly readable and the paint is worn to metal or near metal in many spots.

I have actually found a place that will chemically strip the frame (down to the metal - of course) for $50. Then depending on it's appearance I may just clearcoat it. I have seen examples of this shop's work. The result is nice, however, the samples I saw were of aluminum bikes not steel - but we will see.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
chrispf007 said:
pinkdirt, I too thought this, but the decals are hardly readable and the paint is worn to metal or near metal in many spots.

I have actually found a place that will chemically strip the frame (down to the metal - of course) for $50. Then depending on it's appearance I may just clearcoat it. I have seen examples of this shop's work. The result is nice, however, the samples I saw were of aluminum bikes not steel - but we will see.
Are you going to ride it or admire it?
You might try finding a local industrial powdercoat painter. In my town, there is a place that will take a frame and fork, sandblast and paint it for $75. They don't know squat about bikes, so you need to take it to them stripped of all parts. Even if you need to go to $100, it will still last much longer than any other paint job, including the fancy paint jobs that you'd pay 3x as much for.
The unanswered question here though, is it worth it? You may well be building another bike soon on a higher grade frame, and the cash could be set aside for that project.
Just a consideration. Happy riding!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Spraycanpainted a few (steel)bikes.
The result depends on the paint used.
When you use a car paint, you should be OK.
Powdercoating is better, but more expensive.
Picture shows my Scott '89 singlespeed.
Sprayed it with metalic green Motip car paint.
Firtst chemicaly stripped the old paint.
Cleaned it with water and sanded it a little.
Didn't use any primer on this job, just a few thin layers of paint.
No vernis either, to preserve the satin finish.

BTW: picture is taken after a few years of off-road use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet!

That is the look I am going for, I was even considering a dark shade of green or navy. Thanks for the picture! I am considering not having the frame stripped and sanding and priming and painting myself. If it goes bad then I can have it stripped. I am trying to keep my budget under control.

·
just have fun!
154 Posts
I recently painted an old bike and it turned out pretty nice. A bit of sanding and mineral spirits, a can of metallic car paint and a can of auto clearcoat and it looks pretty nice. It does chip when I hit rocks and stuff, but other than that it's good, and it cost me $10.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Must be lucky...

But I had a frame stripped and powdercoated for $100 and it came out looking great. When you look at what you'll invest in a DYI job, with time, money, hassle, and possibly mediocre results, I thinks it's not a bad idea to poke around until you find a shop to paint it.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Lots of options

$100 is pretty likely for having a bare frame stripped and powdercoated. It's easy enough to do it your self it just takes a bit of time. you could camoflage it with spray paint right over the old paint or apply the tape that hunters put on guns and bows, it would only add a few ounces. You could even get it sandblasted and then clear coat it from a spray can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Budget, Budget, Budget...

Mattman said:
$100 is pretty likely for having a bare frame stripped and powdercoated. It's easy enough to do it your self it just takes a bit of time. you could camoflage it with spray paint right over the old paint or apply the tape that hunters put on guns and bows, it would only add a few ounces. You could even get it sandblasted and then clear coat it from a spray can.
I do wish that I could get a nice finish for around $150. However, it being Christmas time and the fact that SS project was over budget as soon as I got my hands on the free 830, I think I am going the DIY route. I may still have to have something done later, who knows.

The quote that I have been getting are $50 for the chemical stripping and a $75 minimum on powdercoating and a guess-timate $ 100+ for painting it for a couple different auto body places. Both the painting and powder coating costs are on top of stripping.

DIY IT IS FOR ME!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.