Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really, really enjoy the threads when people post a bare frame and all their new parts in boxes for a new build. I wanted to kind of do my own. After I finished my conversion I wanted to build up a new bike for the experience.

Sorry guys, no bling parts to be had here. What I pretty much did was get on Jenson and other sites and chose the highest rated components that were affordable to me. Last Friday I ordered everything I needed. My budget was really strict as I sold some guitar stuff (other expensive hobby) on CL so however much I got back on that was all I allowed myself to spend on this bike. Aside from the frame, fork, and wheels that was $375, lol. Here is the parts list.

Frame: Black Unbranded Gravity G29 aluminum frame.

Fork: Black Salsa Cromoto Grande Rigid
HandleBars: Black On One Mary

Stem: Black Easton EA30 Cube Stem. (It was $9 and had great reviews)

Grips: White ESI racers edge

Saddle: White Charge spoon cromo saddle

Seatpost: Black Raceface XC seat post

Cranks w/ BB: Black Race Face Ride Crankset Oe 2010

Chain: White Kmc K710sl

Brakes: Avid Bb7 Mechanical Disc Brake 2011 w/ Avid fr-5 levers
Wheels/Tires: Velocity Blunt SL rims, Tubless Kenda Small Block 8s with orange tubeless conversion kit. I also got an origin 8 spacer kit for the freehub and an on one tugnut for the drive side.

Pedals: White Wellgo Mg-1

Right now I don't have any pictures. But I definitely will this weekend if all the parts come in. I'm going to make my own headset press. I'm pretty nervous about that but I've read countless tutorials and watched a bunch of videos. Hopefully I don't screw it up.

What do you guys think of my choices for my first build? Any advice?

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
Looks like a nice first SS build. Can't wait to see the pics. Don't be stingy. I didn't post enough pics in one of my first build threads and people were NOT happy with me.

Just remember to ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's finished. Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of pics of the build process cause it happened in a dim garage, and it actually took me longer than I would have liked between a full time job and a 16 month old.

I rode it today 12 miles and man was it awesome! I felt so fast on it. Can't wait to get a steel frame. Everything ran fine on the ride today but for some reason that charge spoon saddle was creaking like crazy. Any tips on how to take care of that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.