Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short:

I recently built up my dream bike (Yeti ASR-5) and then, on a whim, converted my old bike (A 26" HT) to singlspeed. I have 4-5 local trail networks that I ride regularly. One of them is significantly easier than the rest and I gave the SS a try there. I ended up really enjoying it! Now, this converted SS is in pretty bad shape. The frame creaks a lot and probably has some cracks and alignment issues.

So I'm looking to build up a new one, with a true SS frame (either sliding dropouts or an EBB). I don't want to spend a lot of money however, as it's not a bike I ride often. But I still want one. I'd like to keep the cost at about $1000. And I want front suspension.

As I'm building it on paper, the costs skyrocket when I start looking for wheels and a fork. I can find LOADS of good SS frames for very reasonable costs (Surly, Vassago, Soma, Soul Cycles, etc.) but when you add wheels, a fork, you have little left for drivetrain and cockpit.

So that drove me to start looking for used, complete bikes. And there a TON out there. My ebay search finds 20 or so new ones every few days. HOWEVER, it's very rare that I find one in my size. At 5' 6", I'm a perfect fit for most company's small frame. And there are very few smalls out there.

That gave me another idea.

I'm considering buying a SS on eBay regardless of frame size, buying a low cost frame, swapping the parts, and then selling the too-big frame again.

Stupid idea or could it work?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sounds like a really good idea to me. Most single speeds have pretty standard parts (135mm QR rear hub, 73mm threaded BB, etc), which makes it even easier than if you were buying a geared FS bike. Go for it!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I bought a SS on Ebay new in the box for 500$ it ended up being too small . Stripped it and and used the parts on another frame ,worked out good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts