Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you seen the ad for the new SRAM XO trigger shifter and XO Blackbox technology rear derailleur? Is this available now?

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Competition

Those of you with SRAM experience.....

Do you have to run a SRAM cassette to use their derailleurs?
Do you have to use a SRAM chain?

This is the first time I'm actually considering changing from Shimano XTR.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SRAM Drivetrain

You can mix and match componets to some extent. Obviously you can use a XT/XTR rear with SRAM 1:1 shifters, you can use a shimano cassette and/or chain. I run an X.9 drivetrain with X-Gen front, but I use an XT cassette. Everything works great and the shifting is far superior to the old XT/XTR setup I had before.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Angel Crusher said:
You can mix and match componets to some extent. Obviously you can use a XT/XTR rear with SRAM 1:1 shifters, you can use a shimano cassette and/or chain. I run an X.9 drivetrain with X-Gen front, but I use an XT cassette. Everything works great and the shifting is far superior to the old XT/XTR setup I had before.
A slight correction to Angel Crusher's post - with a Shimano rear you need to run the SRAM 2:1 shifters. The easy way to tell is the 1:1 shifters are numbered, X.0, X.9, X.7, etc and the 2:1 (Shimano compatible) shifters are named, Rocket, Attack, etc. You can mix up the drivetrain beyond that to your hearts content.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually how about this situation...

So what if I have the following setup:

- Shimano XTR 9 speed cassette
- SRAM XO rear derailleur
- SRAM XO trigger shifters
- Shimano XTR front derailleur

Will these work together?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
It'll work fine. Sram front derailleurs are still 2:1 actuation ratio. Rear derailleurs are 1:1. I'm using a SRAM cassette and PC 69 chain with Shimano Deore/XT derailleurs and Truvativ cranks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
It'll work fine. Sram front derailleurs are still 2:1 actuation ratio. Rear derailleurs are 1:1. I'm using a SRAM cassette and PC 69 chain with Shimano Deore/XT derailleurs and Truvativ cranks.
Forgive me for being confused, I was under the impression that all front derailleurs were 1:1... I had a mechanic tell me this too but I wouldn't be suprised if this was wrong.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
That is ...

Mike B. said:
A slight correction to Angel Crusher's post - with a Shimano rear you need to run the SRAM 2:1 shifters. The easy way to tell is the 1:1 shifters are numbered, X.0, X.9, X.7, etc and the 2:1 (Shimano compatible) shifters are named, Rocket, Attack, etc. You can mix up the drivetrain beyond that to your hearts content.
That is unless it's Rapid Rise. Than Attack and Rocket shifters will work backwards. You'll only be able to downshift one cog at a time, just like XTR ;-)

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Actuation Ratio ...

XSL_WiLL said:
Nope, all front derailleurs, and Shimano derailleurs are 2:1. Only the SRAM X-Gen Rear derailleurs are 1:1.
Prefer putting the horse before the cart. The cable controls the derailleur, not the other way around. It's 1:2 actuation (though, I've seen it used both ways).

For example:

1 mm cable pull : 2 mm derailleur movement

.5 mm cable slop : 1 mm derailleur slop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.