Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DT Swiss 370 Hub

has anyone ever done an overhaul on one and if so can you direct me to overhaul instructions. I've gone to the DT Swiss website but still have a lot of questions. I"ve already been given some wrong advice on bearings.

I tried getting input from JensonUSA but they weren't much help either. Can't even get it to a shop given they have a 2 week waiting period and I'd really like to fix this thing well before then.

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
what's wrong with the hub? on most cassettes the smallest 2 cogs aren't attached...if you haven't taken the cassette out of the packaging then you haven't noticed that they don't just spin but that they're actually freestanding pieces. that's just how they're made.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm New To This Self Maintenance Thing. I Was Told That Since There Was Some Play In My Cassette (moves Every So Slightly Side To Side) That My Hub Would Need An Overhaul. Figured I'd At Least Try And Replace The Bearings Myself But On The Dtw Apparently There Are Bearings In A Collar/ring That You Buy And Just Insert. But Would This Be The Prob Requiring A Hub Overhaul? Do You Usually Have To Overhaul A Hub? Had It For 3 Years Now And Ride Alot As In Approx 78 Miles A Week.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
@Zen: you probably have cartridge bearings. There's no "overhaul" per se with those. One simply replaces them when they are worn.

When you hold the wheel in your hands and give it a spin, does it spin freely? Do you feel any notching effect from the bearings? Do you hear any squeaking? If the wheel spins freely and silently, I'd probably continue to ride it and leave well-enough alone.

Is your cassette loose, or does it simply appear to wiggle a bit when you spin the wheel? A tad bit of wiggle when you stare down at the spinning rear wheel is not unusual.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx John...the only wiggle on the cassette is if I hold the bike/wheel still. I can move the cassette just a fraction to the right and to the left...if I'm looking down on the wheel that's right to left.

I dont' hear or feel anything when I spin the wheels. The mechanic saw my cassette and said from there I prob need an overhaul on the hubs. I'm just trying to find cartridge bearings for this.

Btw Can I just use regular grease? Right now I'm using http://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1030954_-1___

·
Registered
332 Posts
larlev said:
Off topic, but have you guys seen the price of the new XX SRAM cassette? $327 at price point....are you kidding? Does it wipe our butt also?
Have you seen the price on the rest of the components? the whole line is built for racers...don't worry about it if you don't need it.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
zenmster said:
thx John...the only wiggle on the cassette is if I hold the bike/wheel still. I can move the cassette just a fraction to the right and to the left...if I'm looking down on the wheel that's right to left.
I'm out of my depth then, because I've never gone through that particular problem.

The cassette connects to the freehub body. There are bearings inside that freehub body that are separate from the bearings that support your axle. Those cartridge bearings you are looking at are likely not the problem. Beyond saying that, I don't think I have the experience and knowledge to offer much more in the way of advice.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
A little bit of lateral play in the freehub is normal. With the cassette off the hub, this movement is not noticeable, but with a cassette on the hub, it can be seen. My brand new Shimano XT 29er wheels have this play. Along with most of the 200 bikes in the LBS I work at.

As long as everything is tight and the hub is adjusted properly, install your cassette and ride.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
If I had lateral play in my freehub with the wheel mounted on the bike and the quick-release on, I'd be a little concerned. Or lateral play in the main part of the hub, with the quick-release locked, for that matter. If it only appears when the quick-release is off, I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me, and I've got cup-and-cone hubs on most of my bikes.

If it's your cassette that has play on the freehub, just get a spacer to put behind it.

If you decide the freehub body is damaged, most people just replace the whole thing. But I can see how cartridge bearings might make it make sense to overhaul.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.