Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I have a 2004 MC San Andreas with a 2005 Fox Vanilla R with Pro-Pedal. I love it, the problem is that I am the king of Clydes (265# naked) and bottom out on any drops over 2 ft. Should I upgrade this shock or spring (haha) for a new one. I tried E-mail MRP for info on Mountainspeed spring with no good results. Thanx
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
New spring first

I'd opt for a new spring first to see if that helps. What is the lb rating on the spring you currently have? I go 225 and use a 700 lb spring on my Vanilla. This should be the least expensive option, and if by chance it doesn't work, you're not out that much $$$.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
I'm also ~225 lb & went w/ a 700lb spring. Just call up Fox & give them you bike model & weight w/ gear & they'll send you out the correct spring for about 20~30 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Questions...

What is the wheel travel, and shock stroke? We need this to use a spring calculator.

If you have the $, any single pivot bike will benifit from a 5th coil, Fox DHX, or Swinger, because of the bottoming control.

What is your budget?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike currently has 6 inches travel. The stock spring is 650 X 2.35. My buddy gave me an old Mountainspeed spring, 700 X 54(cm?) I dont know how well that would work. I would'nt mind shorter travel. Can I put this on the fox shock body and run with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Do not do it.

bigbones said:
The bike currently has 6 inches travel. The stock spring is 650 X 2.35. My buddy gave me an old Mountainspeed spring, 700 X 54(cm?) I dont know how well that would work. I would'nt mind shorter travel. Can I put this on the fox shock body and run with it?
Your coil will bind. Your shock has a 2.25" stroke. THe spring that you are considering has a 2" stroke.

At your size, I say start with a 750x2.35 spring. If you can spring (HaHa) for a new shock, DO IT NOW. Those of us over 200lb riding single pivot frames will benifit greatly from a good DH shock with an adjustable platform, and bottoming resistance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks I was about to put that spring on when I read your reply. I'll contact my LBS for a heavier spring from Fox and hope Santa gets me a 5th element for Xmas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Good idea.

bigbones said:
thanks I was about to put that spring on when I read your reply. I'll contact my LBS for a heavier spring from Fox and hope Santa gets me a 5th element for Xmas
Just remember, If a 5th or the like is in order, a lighter spring will be needed. (not that the fox spring would fit.) SPV shocks generally run lighter spring rates than other shocks.

Prerhaps start with a 650. I weigh 230, and use a 5th on my Gemini in the 6" travel position. I am running a 550.
 

·
Ride Instigator
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
damion said:
http://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml This is a sprig rate calculator for Fox shocks. It says around a 775 spring.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm This is another one, that I have found to be slightly low with their rates.
Interesting.... I'm thinking of getting a little stiffer spring for my Heckler w/DHX that came stock with a 350lb spring. The first calculator says I need a 585lb spring (round off to 600) and the second calculator says I need a 436lb spring (round to 450)...NOW I'm really confused...

The parameters I used were 215lb rider weight, 5.65" travel, 2.25" stroke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
TF is off for fox shocks.

Ricko said:
Interesting.... I'm thinking of getting a little stiffer spring for my Heckler w/DHX that came stock with a 350lb spring. The first calculator says I need a 585lb spring (round off to 600) and the second calculator says I need a 436lb spring (round to 450)...NOW I'm really confused...

The parameters I used were 215lb rider weight, 5.65" travel, 2.25" stroke
As near as I can tell, the MOJO calculator is fairly close. However, this was not set up for the DHX.

What is your amount of sag with the 350? I am the same weight, with almost the same travel, on a SP frame, using a 5th coil. The spring is a 550, 65psi, 3 turns in from open on the air can, 1/2 turn ending compression, open beginning compression, and 3-4 turns in from open on the rebound.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top