Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been riding an 03 Stumpjumper comp for about 2 years now. About 9 months after buying the bike, I added Avid Mech. disc brakes. Since then I've broken 2 or 3 spokes on my rear wheel and 1 on my front wheel. Two in the last month (one this morning).

I spoke to a guy on the trail this morning who suggested replacing my existing 15 gauge spokes with double butted 15/14 spokes, or getting a new wheel set.

I'm currently running the stock wheelset, which is mavic 221 rims, and Shimano FHM525 hubs. I way about 165 lbs. I ride mainly XC with minimal drops of a foot or less.

I'd like to stay under $250 for a relacement, but want to stop breaking spokes! Any suggestions on the best solution? Thanks in advance,

N

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Have your wheels re-built with 14/15g DB spokes with sufficient tension, equalized tensions and stresses relieved by a competent wheelbuilder and your problems will be over. Your biggest problem will be sorting the competent from the non competent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Mike T. said:
Have your wheels re-built with 14/15g DB spokes with sufficient tension, equalized tensions and stresses relieved by a competent wheelbuilder and your problems will be over. Your biggest problem will be sorting the competent from the non competent.
Any idea what shops will typically charge to rebuild?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!

Mike T. said:
No clue and some builders might not even want to use your old rims. Wanna do it yourself? We can help.
I'd love to learn how to build a wheel. Unfortunately, I won't have the sort of free time in my life required to take on that sort of project until this fall. Nor am I very mechanically inclined, so every bike repair takes me twice as long as the average person!

I guess I'm stuck trusting my local LBS. I have a pretty good relationship with them, but have no idea how they are at wheel-building.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have the same mavic 221s on my Rocky and I HATE them. They get out of true soo easily, that I dont know if I'll even use them on my beater.

I just picked up a set of DT 4.1Ds on DT Onyx hubs for $159 on ebay. This wheelset is worth about $300. So keep your eyes open for deals like that :)

Good Luck

Ming

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Yah, I have the same bike. The stock spokes suck. I had the wheels relaced after I broke 3 spokes in a few weeks. I'm 5 lbs heavier than you. If you dont want to spend much, relace them. The wheels are not all that great, so I would just replace them. I still use them, but thats because I dont want to put any more money into this bike. I am building some nice wheels on King hubs though, but those go on the Klein. Dont get me wrong, the stumpjumper is nice, and if its the bike you plan to ride most of the time it might be worth buying a nice wheelset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.