Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, Im just getting into mountain biking and came across this site so I figured I would join up and start reading.

Anyway, I picked up my first bike in about 10 years (2007 rockhopper disc) last week, and picked my girlfriend up a 2008 myka sport yesterday. We are both new to mountain biking and are really looking forward to getting into the sport.

I have put about 15 miles on my bike since I picked it up last Thursday, about 10 miles on some light trails and 5 on the road. I'm happy with it so far, I really liked the stumpjumper models, but $2000+ was a little steep for a newbie.

I went with the specialized over a few other brands because the dealers were so much easier to work with. I was sold on a Giant Rainier, but the people at the giant shop were pushy as heck…so I went back to the specialized. I was open to anything for the old ladies bike, but she really liked the myka as soon as she saw it, plus she gets a kick out of having the first one out of something, hers is the first and only one that has came through that shop.

Like I said, I'm new to the sport and I'm really looking forward to getting some more seat time and doing some reading on this site; it seems to be a wealth of knowledge so far.

Later all,

Kyle

p.s. I'm from South East Michigan, any other specialized riders in the area?

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the Club! You got a great, solid, worry free bike to start out on! Go out and have a blast......it just gets better with EVERY ride!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thats what I was hoping to get...something I didnt have to worry about breaking on me every time I take it out, and something fairly cheap to learn on. Eventually I will upgrade to a full suspension bike...but the rockhopper will work great for now.

I have about 30 miles on mine now and love it more every time I hit the trails, hopefully soon I can get out and hit some more technical trails around SE michigan to see what Im really made of.

If anybody cares, here are a few pics of my rockhopper and my girls myka all loaded up in my truck just before we hit some light local trails.

And yes....they both have reflectors on them in those pics, I didnt realize it was such a taboo to have reflectors on your bike...lol. I will pop them off before we go out again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice reflectors... ;-)

Just kidding... Hey, I first learned on a 2005 Rockhopper Comp. It was an awesome and sweet bike. I wouldn't call it a beginner bike. It had sweet geometry, railed corners and it was remarkably worry free. Enjoy yours man!!! I sure did... I went up to the Stumpy FSR eventually. But I have a lot of fond memories of that Rockhopper. It rocked. Get pics of the bike in action, bro!

·
Your killing my Strava
628 Posts
Just curious....Why do you take the front tire off to mount the bike in the bed of a truck? Why not just leave it on and use tie downs?

·
Wooo YEAAAH!
76 Posts
vinnyl26 said:
Just curious....Why do you take the front tire off to mount the bike in the bed of a truck? Why not just leave it on and use tie downs?

So he can show off his bike.

But I got a question...you trying to take pictures of the bike, or your truck? which one are you trying to show off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got that type of rack so the bikes are held in place standing up so it takes up less room and you dont have to worry about them getting beat around. No worries about having to use a strap or anything, It takes about 2 seconds to pop the front tires off and set the forks in the quick release holders.
I didnt want to have any other type of rack that mounts in the bed of the truck because I use my truck to haul my ATV's and all kinds of other stuff. I was going to get one of the racks that mount to the hitch receiver, but the guy at the bike shop talked me into these....$50 is nice compared to $300.

enthdigry,

If you look at the pictures, you can see the copyright on the bottom....see where it says "fordtruckworld"? Hence why they are focused on the truck, but they are the only pictures I have of the bikes so I posted them. Also, if the main focus of the picture isnt the truck, they wont host them there....
And if I wanted to draw attention to the bikes, I dont think I would have bought a flat black rockhopper and a blue myka.

·
Your killing my Strava
628 Posts
Lang said:
I got that type of rack so the bikes are held in place standing up so it takes up less room and you dont have to worry about them getting beat around. No worries about having to use a strap or anything, It takes about 2 seconds to pop the front tires off and set the forks in the quick release holders.
I didnt want to have any other type of rack that mounts in the bed of the truck because I use my truck to haul my ATV's and all kinds of other stuff. I was going to get one of the racks that mount to the hitch receiver, but the guy at the bike shop talked me into these....$50 is nice compared to $300.

enthdigry,

If you look at the pictures, you can see the copyright on the bottom....see where it says "fordtruckworld"? Hence why they are focused on the truck, but they are the only pictures I have of the bikes so I posted them. Also, if the main focus of the picture isnt the truck, they wont host them there....
And if I wanted to draw attention to the bikes, I dont think I would have bought a flat black rockhopper and a blue myka.
Yea but it takes less than 1 sec to use tie downs and since you own a ATV I am sure you have some laying around. I am not trying to give you a hard time I am just trying to understand the logic. I also have a full size truck and haul around dirtbikes. Your not the only one I see other guys with some sort of rack in there truck and I cant understand why?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you lay the bikes down and strap them down? If I was only carrying mine, I would have no problem laying it down and throwing a strap on it, but when you have 2 or 3 bikes back there, it gets a little tight with a 6' bed. Having them standing up doesnt take up much room, so I can still throw a cooler back there, and whatever else I need.

I really just wanted something to hold the bikes still so they wouldnt bounce around and get all beat up (my truck doesnt exactly ride like a caddy). Like I said, I was going to go for a receiver mount, but for 1/6 the price, these work just fine for me.

·
Your killing my Strava
628 Posts
No I stand them up like you would a dirtbike, and put the tie downs to the handelbars. I am sure your truck has tie down brackets

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never really thought about doing it that way....Oh well, I guess the guy at the bike shop pulled one over on me...no biggie though, I will still use them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts