Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Specialized realized a 29” mountain bike for 2007. Kind of.

The bike is called the CrossTrail. I am sure it will be under some stupid category like “Free Moutain”

It looks like a Rockhopper with a Reba front fork and a semi slick cross bike tire.

It looks like more of a Hybrid or Comfort bike then a racing bike.

I have been looking for a picture online but the only pictures I have seen are in our 2007 resource book and my boss wont let me take it home and I have not had time to scan the pictures in.

I will try Sunday and I will post the geometry for the interested parties.

So they continue to drag feet. Hopefully they will see the sun.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Ah, good info! That they're using a Reba would suggest the frame is pretty high-end, and trail-worthy. Other companies stick top-end Maniou trekking forks in their big bill bikes.
But if the frame would take fatties, interesting choice to go for narrow tires, even if they sell fatties aftermarket. Trying to sell bikes to the 29" crowd without saying "we're committing"?
Actually, it's financially the lowest risk to do it that way, I also advised a European brand to do it such. Convert existing trekking models to full blown 29" frames, and use the frame for both. Fisher had been doing really well with that strategy. Bu, for them 29" came first, and with backing of the company.

·
Master of the Obvious
498 Posts
Flooredsubaru said:
So Specialized realized a 29” mountain bike for 2007. Kind of.

The bike is called the CrossTrail. I am sure it will be under some stupid category like “Free Moutain”
So they continue to drag feet. Hopefully they will see the sun.
I have very reliable information from some one who just spent a week with Specialized.
The above bike you mentioned is not a mountian bike but will be a upscale hybrid, it's geometry is not that of a XC bike at all. But Specialized does have a 29er in the works, and it will be a 2008 model, there was no timetable mentioned ( maybe a mid year release?) apparently the fine folks at the "BIG RED S" have realized since they are going to be late to the party might as well make a big splash of an entrance with some well thought out and original designs.....

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
If they really go for it, put their available resources on it, they may well pull a Landis on the 29" bizz.

·
Blanco
1,332 Posts
Angus said:
apparently the fine folks at the "BIG RED S" have realized since they are going to be late to the party might as well make a big splash of an entrance with some well thought out and original designs.....
A 29er Enduro with a TA Fox 29er fork?

We can only hope.

·
Registered
515 Posts
remember their SS?

Angus said:
apparently the fine folks at the "BIG RED S" have realized since they are going to be late to the party might as well make a big splash of an entrance with some well thought out and original designs.....
Let's hope they do a better job at jumping into the game late on a 29er than they did with this little number a few years too late in the 26" SS market.....tensioner and all....

04SpecializedHardrockSS_lrg.jpg

·
Don't be a sheep
3,425 Posts
El Caballo said:
A 29er Enduro with a TA Fox 29er fork?

We can only hope.
I'm honestly curious as to why you think this. Have you ridden a 26" Enduro? Did it perform so poorly or in a unusual manner that you think adding bigger heavier wheels and components would make up for that? I'd really like to know the train of thought for this type of statement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
overpriced

Their bikes are overpriced....I have one and I like it, but there are many others out there that come in at a lower price point and probably ride just as well.

Any reviews on that Asylum FS 29er Speedgoat is carrying?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stumped04 said:
Their bikes are overpriced....I have one and I like it, but there are many others out there that come in at a lower price point and probably ride just as well.

Specialized is overpriced vs. Speedgoat?

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
Rivet said:
I'm honestly curious as to why you think this. Have you ridden a 26" Enduro? Did it perform so poorly or in a unusual manner that you think adding bigger heavier wheels and components would make up for that? I'd really like to know the train of thought for this type of statement.
I have and still do (ride and enduro expert with a Fox 36 talas)
I think you are looking at it the wrong way?
It performs so well and is such a solid bike that I think it would be great to have a bigger wheel version.
The only hang up with the 26" wheel version is the smaller wheels, with less momentum, get stuck behind obstacles that the bigger wheel rolls over.
I am getting used to being huge on the bike slowly.
I don't think the wheels have to weigh that much more and the components would weigh the same??
I have stated on many posts if they built one, I would buy it at the drop of a hat.

·
Blanco
1,332 Posts
Rivet said:
I'd really like to know the train of thought for this type of statement.
I've ridden several Specializeds, including an Enduro (admittedly I have more time on a Big Hit). I like the way they pedal in rocky stuff, especially compared to high single pivots.

29ers feel more natural to me that 26ers.

I am a tall guy. A big part of it is the higher axles making the bike more endo-resistant. Part of it is due to the geometry that 29" wheels force bike makers to use (particularly longer chainstays). Part of it is that the larger wheels do roll better over rocky/rooty/ledgy parts. (I was able to A/B compare this while I still had my 26" hardtail.) To me, these advantages outweigh the increased weight.

I don't think that everyone should be on a 29. But I'd really like a 5" bike that doesn't cost over $2500 for a frame and fork (Behemoth).

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
If weight increased associated with larger wheels would not be worthwhile, smaller would always be better. XC races would be won on converted BMX bikes. Remember that from 20" to 26" is only +30%. Why are folks getting worked up over +10% wheel weight between 26" and 29"? There's more to riding than wheel weight related, in fact it's the other 97%.

Too bad money can't be made in bikes making innovative folks like Airbus and Microsoft ignore it and don't do R&D for it.

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Too bad money can't be made in bikes making innovative folks like Airbus and Microsoft ignore it and don't do R&D for it.
Please lease microchiottes away from this !
Innovations commes from apple. Freedom comes from Linux
Only locked proprietary format commes from M$. They would not have allowed a change in the 26" standart !

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Flooredsubaru said:
It looks like more of a Hybrid or Comfort bike then a racing bike.
What do you think 29ers are? Glorified hybrids...haha

After Specialized railed so hard on 29ers in the beginning, why would anyone consider buying anything 29er from them?

I bet they claim they invented 29ers and start sueing everybody.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
stumped04 said:

I agree their S-works models are awfully pricey for what you actually get, but their regular production models are more-or-less in line with their Trek, Giant, Kona etc. counterparts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts