Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Unless there is more to it than a flip chip for the rear end, you're going to have a dramatically different bike when you convert - lowering the BB enough to compensate for a 1" larger radius wheel just by moving the rear axle upwards is going to cause you to have a head angle several degrees slacker. Maybe you can adjust the travel on the fork as well?

The big issue with all of the conversion ideas I've ever seen (and I've thought about building some myself) is that by the time the kid is big enough for the next wheel size up, they really need a longer cockpit/reach/front center as well. You can just slap a longer stem on, but that's far from ideal.

-Walt

·
Registered
779 Posts
Photos are often deceiving, but the stack looks huge. Definitely curious to find out more details. But, I'm kinda committed to the Clash 24 now regardless. There's also a decent chance that when the time comes I'll just skip 26 altogether and go straight to 27.5.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Unless there is more to it than a flip chip for the rear end, you're going to have a dramatically different bike when you convert - lowering the BB enough to compensate for a 1" larger radius wheel just by moving the rear axle upwards is going to cause you to have a head angle several degrees slacker. Maybe you can adjust the travel on the fork as well?

The big issue with all of the conversion ideas I've ever seen (and I've thought about building some myself) is that by the time the kid is big enough for the next wheel size up, they really need a longer cockpit/reach/front center as well. You can just slap a longer stem on, but that's far from ideal.

-Walt
I was wondering about this. My sons buddy's little brother has a Rocky Mtn Reaper 24 and it looks pretty long and slack. Just can't escape the long chainstays in the 24" size even with a flip chip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.