Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any locals have any official unoffcial info on the new Sea Otter course?

DMFT mentioned a route a couple weeks ago.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Dunno...

fred-da-trog said:
Any locals have any official unoffcial info on the new Sea Otter course?

DMFT mentioned a route a couple weeks ago.
... but it is all subject to change up until the event. Last year, they cut some new rollercoaster singetrack around 'carnage canyon' that developed the year before, and didn't end up using it. They prolly will this year, my guess.

Man, I gotta get out there and get some practice laps in. I haven't been out there since 24hoa. Well, I did a CCCX race out at the west side of the area, but none of the SO trails were on there.

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Fo' Shizzle...

pimpbot said:
... but it is all subject to change up until the event. Last year, they cut some new rollercoaster singetrack around 'carnage canyon' that developed the year before, and didn't end up using it. They prolly will this year, my guess.
the course also depends upon what the rainy season impacts along the course as well. so it's definately wayyyy toooo early to predict what the course may/maynot be.

just get out there, devote a good day or so to riding portions of the previous years courses to get an idea.

this year there was some record rainfall that washed out some areas, others had to be repaired, etc. the year before, it was way dry n hot as hell, lots of dust n sand so of course they ran us through a few speed sucking sand pits.

the only sure bet its to preride the course a few days before the event.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Nuthin' new yet

- Just did a group ride last night using some of what possibly will be some of the new course. So far, we haven't had a whole lotta rain but the ground in places is holding the moisture really well. In other areas it's a complete sand trap. I'll see about getting an update from someone in-the-know....

- I will soon be posting some group/training rides for the course and maybe even some of the OTHER good schtufff in the area. ;)

Ya'll keep some Wed. evenings at 6pm & Sunday mornings at 9am open.....
And bring your legs. :D

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
according to the web site it sounds like a TOTALLY new course not just a few new trails. I really liked the old course but it sure would be nice if the new one more technical

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Official Un-Official Course

Clockwise from Laguna Seca, starting from the top of The Grind/Pilarcitos Canyon.
11, 13, 50, 22, 60, 82, 11, 49, Skyline Rd. (Mini-Grind, as known by locals), 44, 10, 75, 56, 5, 35, 3, 34, 2, 41, 10, Skyline Rd. and back into Laguna Seca somehow.

* Everyone please take care pre-riding these trails in this order, you WILL be riding UP some very popular downhills, namely 82 (Merrill/Horse Trail) & 41 (Goat Trail) and chances of nasty encounters with other riders will be pretty high. *

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
pimpbot said:
Man, I gotta get out there and get some practice laps in. I haven't been out there since 24hoa. Well, I did a CCCX race out at the west side of the area, but none of the SO trails were on there.
Speaking of CCCX...their website doesn't have any 'official' info quite yet....but it looks like they may get another season in at East Garrison. That would be great. :)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
DMFT said:
Clockwise from Laguna Seca, starting from the top of The Grind/Pilarcitos Canyon.
11, 13, 50, 22, 60, 82, 11, 49, Skyline Rd. (Mini-Grind, as known by locals), 44, 10, 75, 56, 5, 35, 3, 34, 2, 41, 10, Skyline Rd. and back into Laguna Seca somehow.

* Everyone please take care pre-riding these trails in this order, you WILL be riding some
very popular downhills and chances of nasty encounters with other riders will be pretty high. *
Are you saying the route takes you up some trails that most other times are favored trails to come down?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
DMFT said:
YES.
- I will go back and edit my post....
You'd think they would want to give us the fun downhills....

I'm all for a challange...but if you want people to come back year after year...give us the good stuff! :D

I think Pimpbot said it already...but I suppose they could switch everything or some of it around at any time as they see fit.

Still good info to have, thanks for sharing DMFT!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
There will be some good stuff in there, it's just not going to be my idea of a stellar course.
- I think it will do a couple trails some good though by running a lot of peep's up them. Maybe it will cut down the brake-bumps from all the skiderzzz! :D

YES - the route I posted is NOT (as far as I know) approved yet, so it could change.
When I here something, you guy's will hear something. :)

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,926 Posts
This is what I'm thinking too

DMFT said:
There will be some good stuff in there, it's just not going to be my idea of a stellar course.
- I think it will do a couple trails some good though by running a lot of peep's up them. Maybe it will cut down the brake-bumps from all the skiderzzz!
That the BLM and locals got sick of the trails getting trashed by the mobs of crappy riders who swarm the SO Classic. I would bet there is more damage done to the trails on SO + 24HOA then the rest of the year.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,926 Posts
Big screen TVs

Rumpfy said:
Too bad its not set up in 'lap' format. I think it's more fun for the spectators and gives the racers a chance to try and improve upon their first (or previous) lap.
Well they will have cameras at strategic locations and helmet cams on the pro riders broadcasting on closed circuit to the Giant Screen TV for the spectators.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.