230lbs with gear and water
fox 34 elite 140 3 volume spacers
108 psi 4 clicks from closed rebound 10 clicks lsc
stock dpx .8 vol reducer
240 psi setting two on lsc and I believe 6 clicks rebound from closed

·
Registered
367 Posts
SR SUNTOUR TRIAIR 3CR.... Anyone using this shock?

2018 Pov pack alloy Smuggler.

80‰ foothills single track, 20‰ flowy shuttle tracks.

108kg with gear.

RockShox Revelation at 150mm

2.5 tokens, 95psi, 28‰ sag, rebound 6 clicks from full open.

Upgraded the Deluxe RT to a modest SRsuntour TriAir 3cr shock. Excellent shock.

3 volume bands, 230psi in air can, 190psi on IFP, 32% sag, rebound 7 clicks from full open.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
165-170 lbs without gear
flowy medium-steep singletrack (Norcal)

Fork: Fox 34 Performance
2 tokens
79.5 psi
9 clicks rebound
LSC open

Shock: DVO Topaz
180 psi main chamber (=16mm sag)
190 psi bladder
2 positive tokens
0 negative tokens
7 clicks rebound
open compression lever

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do many Smuggler owners stick with the DPS shock? I'm not super happy with mine, I find the Open mode has almost no compression, the Trail mode is workable and the Firm just suitable for sealed surfaces. I'll experiment a bit further but are there any tricks to getting the most out of the DPS?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do many Smuggler owners stick with the DPS shock? I'm not super happy with mine, I find the Open mode has almost no compression, the Trail mode is workable and the Firm just suitable for sealed surfaces. I'll experiment a bit further but are there any tricks to getting the most out of the DPS?
No experience with the DPS although there are a lot of PEOPLE on here who have binned it for a DVO Topaz or FOX DPX2

I have the pov-pack smuggler with the RS deluxe rt. This shock has taken me months to get it close to good and I have ended up with the volume spacers maxxed out with a gnar dog volume token and two standard tokens. The time frame may have partly been due to my inexperience with air shocks as I have only ever had coil shocks in the past.

108kg with gear (includes 2litre camelback)

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Still mucking about with the fork and shock on mine. I took the gamble and got the new Fox 2020 bearing eyelet hardware for the top mount of the DPS (the high rotation one) and it has made a decent difference to the breakaway force when compressed by hand in the garage. I'll go for some spins tomorrow and see how it feels on the trail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ditched the DPS for a MRP Hazzard coil, the DPS just didn't seem like it could keep up with the bike when things got rough and fast. The Hazzard has honestly changed the entire bike, used to feel sketchy in the back on anything loose, now feels planted and grippy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I ditched the DPS for a MRP Hazzard coil, the DPS just didn't seem like it could keep up with the bike when things got rough and fast. The Hazzard has honestly changed the entire bike, used to feel sketchy in the back on anything loose, now feels planted and grippy.
First world issue I know, but I've got a Patrol and a Smuggler. Keeping the Patrol for the silly stuff and running the Smuggler for XC and trail marathons. I want to keep the weight low on the Smuggler to keep it ready for that stuff. The Patrol can be chunky, but for now I'd just like the Smuggler to be as competent as the Scout it is replacing.

I think the old Monarch on the Scout was better than the DPS so far. But more time will tell, I might be being a bit harsh till the shock breaks in.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
First world issue I know, but I've got a Patrol and a Smuggler. Keeping the Patrol for the silly stuff and running the Smuggler for XC and trail marathons. I want to keep the weight low on the Smuggler to keep it ready for that stuff. The Patrol can be chunky, but for now I'd just like the Smuggler to be as competent as the Scout it is replacing.

I think the old Monarch on the Scout was better than the DPS so far. But more time will tell, I might be being a bit harsh till the shock breaks in.
I too have both, a Patrol that's set up pretty burly and a Smuggler that's somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Under 30, but ready to race pedally enduros. I'm running a DVO Topaz and it's such a versatile shock. I can run on the lower end of sag and up the pressure in the bladder and have a really efficient setup, or run a full 17+ and drop the pressure in the bladder by 5-10lb and it's plush as hell. IMO, the shock matches the split personality of the bike really well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2018 Pov pack alloy Smuggler.

80‰ foothills single track, 20‰ flowy shuttle tracks.

108kg with gear.

RockShox Revelation at 150mm

2.5 tokens, 95psi, 28‰ sag, rebound 6 clicks from full open.

Upgraded the Deluxe RT to a modest SRsuntour TriAir 3cr shock. Excellent shock.

3 volume bands, 230psi in air can, 190psi on IFP, 32% sag, rebound 7 clicks from full open.
what exactly do you mean by pov pack smuggler? not questioning it.. just haven't heard of it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
If anyone wants to play with a coil on their smuggler, I've got an MRP Hazzard with a progressive spring for sale. I weigh about 185 and this is the spring rate MRP recommended for my Smuggler. Only selling cause I unloaded the bike to make way for a new whip. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2873280/

The Hazzard on the Smuggler transformed the bike into an all mountain beast. Amazing combo! I also pushed the 36 to 150mm with an MRP Ramp Cartridge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.