Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again tribe!:thumbsup: Listen... I need some help with this issue. I have some ole' skool (1995 and abouts) cranks STX, LX and Sugino I got way back when, and I'm trying to justify buying some under $100 cranks to replace them on some LIGHT DUTY 29er and 26er builds I'm doing. I'm a middle age 50 plus dude and not that greatly skilled (anyway), so I figured they would be more than good enough for me to enjoy my light trail/towpath rides. My question is, are cranks at that price point THAT noticeably better than the cranks I mentioned above? Is it worth it for me to dump my old stuff and get something more up to date? mmm...:confused:

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The old STX cranks had an unusual chairing pattern in that the granny ring attached to the middle ring. So your probably going to have a hard time with that one. The LX should be a standard 5 bolt compact 94/58 pattern and is a good crank. It used melt forged arms which are not as strong or stiff as cold forged but still good.You didn't mention the model of the Sugino so it could be their nice ones (such as the Impel 700 which was XT quality and used a 58/94 pattern) or their cheap ones like the Impel 350. They also made and continue to make the XD line which is a 74/110 pattern.

BTW-I owned 1995 STX, 1996 LX, and 1996 Sugino Impel 700 cranksets and the Sugino's were the best of the three

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.