Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
So two firsts for me this weekend-
1) I parked in the new lot
2) I got a written warning for cooking brats on my hibachi after riding. I've been doing that for any non-solo ride for probably 12 years and I've never had a problem with it. I've talked with rangers at several parks while grilling brats and no one has ever said a word about it until yesterday.
This experience makes me wonder if the shall we say "overzealous" rangers of Skeggs/Mid-Pen regard the new lot as a sting operation to "get them all in one place" and hand out tickets. The cooler of the two rangers wanted to let me off but her boss overruled her. She later told me that they couldn't have given me a ticket/warning had we done this same thing at the Skeggs Point parking lot because that's not their jurisdiction.

I'm done parking in the new lot. I'll just go back to parking on Skyline. The honeypot in the parking lot isn't that nice.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Hey,
The lot also has in integrated tire cleaner near the bathroom!

A "ride through" full bike wash would have been really nice, but sucked on colder days.

I have a question...................

If there's no parking in normal car slots, do you get in trouble (ticket) if you park in the horse trainer parking?

·
Paper or plastic?
10,130 Posts
Let me guess: you probably can't drink a brew in the parking lot either. Midpen sucks on too many levels.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Let me guess: you probably can't drink a brew in the parking lot either. Midpen sucks on too many levels.
Actually, the cooler of the two rangers noticed us hiding our cans of Ballast Point and said that alcohol was OK as long as it went with a picnic. So there's that.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,130 Posts
Actually, the cooler of the two rangers noticed us hiding our cans of Ballast Point and said that alcohol was OK as long as it went with a picnic. So there's that.
I take it back. They're at least cool on one thing. Just have to bring a sandwich then. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I take it back. They're at least cool on one thing. Just have to bring a sandwich then. :)
No a energy bar will suffice. I spoke to a ranger this weekend and as long as there is food and beer...It's a picnic.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
I was there during a "beer at the parking lot discussion" and heard the female ranger say she would never ticket someone for drinking and as far as she was concerned a stick of gum made it a pick nick. Sounds like she was trying to make up for the grilling debacle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For MidPen, beer and wine are okay with a picnic.
SECTION 410. ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.
410.1 General. No person shall possess or consume alcoholic beverages except beer and wine, and only as part of a picnic meal.
For Santa Clara County Parks, you need to be in a picnic area:
Alcohol: Permitted in picnic areas. Not permitted in parking lots.​

When I have been drinking in a MidPen parking lot after a ride (with a picnic meal), the rangers are more concerned with drinking and then driving away.

Mike

·
Mtbr Founder
34,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey,
The lot also has in integrated tire cleaner near the bathroom!

A "ride through" full bike wash would have been really nice, but sucked on colder days.

I have a question...................

If there's no parking in normal car slots, do you get in trouble (ticket) if you park in the horse trainer parking?
That's not a tire cleaner. What da?

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
34,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So two firsts for me this weekend-
1) I parked in the new lot
2) I got a written warning for cooking brats on my hibachi after riding. I've been doing that for any non-solo ride for probably 12 years and I've never had a problem with it. I've talked with rangers at several parks while grilling brats and no one has ever said a word about it until yesterday.
This experience makes me wonder if the shall we say "overzealous" rangers of Skeggs/Mid-Pen regard the new lot as a sting operation to "get them all in one place" and hand out tickets. The cooler of the two rangers wanted to let me off but her boss overruled her. She later told me that they couldn't have given me a ticket/warning had we done this same thing at the Skeggs Point parking lot because that's not their jurisdiction.

I'm done parking in the new lot. I'll just go back to parking on Skyline. The honeypot in the parking lot isn't that nice.
Written warning... that's bad form. Did they have signage? What did the boss look like? My Wednesday Skeggs party will just stay at the Skeggs lot and maybe use their toilet paper.

The beer with food is allowed only because the powers of Midpen wanted to be able to drink their wine with cheese while hiking.

fc

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
That's not a tire cleaner. What da?

fc
I did not know what that row of brushes was for. However, if you ride or push your bike between them, your tires will get the mud or excess dirt brushed off them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,395 Posts
Thank god they didn't put in a hose or spraying rack so you could clean your bike right there...

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,740 Posts
Thank god they didn't put in a hose or spraying rack so you could clean your bike right there...
There's a drought, you know. Can't you just wait until you get home and throw it in your pool?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,395 Posts
Not possible, clods of dirt and mud can't form without water! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts