Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a new Sj Expert 120 and have only ridden it on road so far. I'll be hitting up some trails this weekend but I just noticed some slop in the front fork. What I mean is that there is some play between the fork and the frame. When I lock up the front brake and rock the bike back and forth, there is a slight rattle and play that can be felt. I remember reading another thread where someone else noticed the same thing,but I can't find the thread now. Is the bike safe to take on the trail and do you guys have the same amount of play in that area I just described? Better to be safe than sorry. -thanks :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would take it in and get it looked at. Mine doesn't have any rattle at all. It sounds like the shop didn't tighten something, or possibly a defective part.
I would think your shop should be able to check it out while you wait.

Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
bgpoole said:
I would take it in and get it looked at. Mine doesn't have any rattle at all. It sounds like the shop didn't tighten something, or possibly a defective part.
I would think your shop should be able to check it out while you wait.

Good luck.
It sounds like the bolt holding the stem is loose. I had that problem when I was trying to replace my stem. Try tightening that bolt.

Pedro

·
otbmbc.com
201 Posts
I had the same problem. For me, it was just the bolt on top of the stem. You should loosen the side bolts on the stem first, then tighten the top bolt, then retighten the side bolts.

I am in no shape or form a qualified mechanic so you should really have it checked. But if you want to try this first, it may fix the problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
SabbathU71 said:
I had the same problem. For me, it was just the bolt on top of the stem. You should loosen the side bolts on the stem first, then tighten the top bolt, then retighten the side bolts.
Yep, that is what I was trying to say, too. Not so elequently, though.

Pedro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SabbathU71 said:

I am in no shape or form a qualified mechanic so you should really have it checked. But if you want to try this first, it may fix the problem.
Thanks everybody, i took my bike to the lbs and they did just as you described. IT also turned out that I needed a slightly larger spacer above the stem. Everything is nice and tight now. Can't wait to hit the trails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.