Sram XO front
Sram Apex Shifters
Sram X7 cranks 26/39t
BB7 Road Brakes
Thudbuster Seat post (added later)
Selle Anatomica Seat (added later)
Salsa woodchipper bars
ESI RCT Tape

I'll post ride reviews after the weekend and some outside pics. It really looks different in person. Dark green paint with gold cable housing and a gold chain...pimpin. I will use this in Trans-Iowa this year. Gryphon center.jpg Gryphon front.jpg Gryphon rear.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks good :eekster:, I use my swift for grinding duties. I have 1.9 MTB tires on because my gravel races are a little gnar. GetAttachment (4).jpg

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may need to go winder on tires, not sure just yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had Ritchey CX tires for a while but when the I was riding anything but fine grade it would get super rough. Now I can ride it through whatever for the most part and it takes the edge off.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok friends, got almost 100 in on Saturday and let me tell you it was wonderful. This bike is snappy, springy and downright comfy. It climbs well with little complaint which is saying something for a 26 lbs bike unloaded. I am running a revelate framebag and gas tank with a 100 oz. camelback in the frame bag. 2 24oz polar bottles full of scratch labs goodness. So maybe 30lbs. I have a new brooks saddle that I chose to break in Saturday as well which surprising only started to give a little discomfort around the 4.5 hour mark. I love this bike. It is how a bike should ride. I love the 29er dropbar hand position. There are no less than 5 ways to hold the woodchipper bars which also changes your seating position just so. This keeps you from getting numbness and pain on the long rides. The crest wheels are light and accelerate very well. Sram drivetrains are great and work well with all of the mixed groups. My buddy Ari tuned my BB7's to perfection. Overall a very good experience. I'll add more as I ride more. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Keen to see more Gryphon info. I am sniffing around the idea of a cross bike as a do it all rig but wanted something a bit tougher. Thinking this may be the +1 I am looking for...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I'm 6'3 but I'm a 36 inch inseam, all legs. This is the best bike ive ever owned. I ride it on and off road, all the time. Its so comfy and snappy. What great bike. I have a thud buster st on it now with some frome bags.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi @x3speed, may I ask you what's your bb to saddle distance?
I'm 187mm tall and rida at 80cm saddle to bb and I'm trying to decide between an L gryphon or an XL one.
Thank you

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll have to check. 80cm is roughly 32 inches which is probably closer to a large I would guess. You really want to plug in to the bike rather than sit on it. I'd go smaller if you are on the fence. Seat post and stem will make a big difference in fit. I also have a thud-buster st on it, so I'll need to figure out the actual.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey folks just built up a new Gryphon.
Gold housing(looks yellow in the pics)
Gold ti KMC Chain
Sram X9 type rear der.
Sram XO front
Sram Apex Shifters
Sram X7 cranks 26/39t
BB7 Road Brakes
Thudbuster Seat post (added later)
Selle Anatomica Seat (added later)
Salsa woodchipper bars
ESI RCT Tape

I'll post ride reviews after the weekend and some outside pics. It really looks different in person. Dark green paint with gold cable housing and a gold chain...pimpin. I will use this in Trans-Iowa this year. View attachment 878639 View attachment 878640 <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe> View attachment 878641
Nice ride. enjoy

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm in love with my new Gryphon...
singlespeed (will get gears also, in the future), 29x3 front, 29x2.4 rear tires...
I got 500km in 3 rides on it, this bike opened me a new way of biking.

Only one problem so far: I'm having some severe fork chatter when braking. did someone experience the same? headset is ok, maybe I'll try a different front rotor...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the same setup with no issues. Have you checked the hubs? Are you sure the headset is tight? I'll post pics in a few minutes.

·
Registered
790 Posts
headset is tight, and hubs are new, and perfectly working, Hope Pro 2 EVO.

I'm wondering why the fork has 10mm dropouts when I can't find any 10mm front axle hub on the market... anyway, I'm using a 9mm thru axle and I'm sure this is not related with the fork chatter.

What's the recomended rotor size? I've a 180mm and wouldn't like to go smaller.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have 160mm rotors. Using a standard qr in front
yep, standard front QR are 9mm.

I see you're running a Gravity Vidar, did you try the same tire in the rear? I tried with a Chronicle and it spins but with occasional rubbing. I think a slightly smaller tire would be great, I hope to see some 29x2.8 coming out in the future...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts