Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about this project? The trail looks to be just under a mile long, and is in an area of the park with no single track that I am aware of.
It would be a good opportunity for bikers to help in the construction of the trail if the park is taking volunteers for it.

-Dan

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
I'm pretty sure that construction is complete on the "Norred Trail" (or really close to complete), and that it will be opened in the spring.

I'd have to check with the County. I believe the trail will be multi-use.

Patty

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Norred Trail is in the northwest corner of the park. North of Bernal Hill Loop Trail, south of the Coyote-Almaden canal. Connects Joice to Mine at a low elevation. Goes through the Norred Ranch. Looks like it makes a nice continuation of the Ohlone Trail, which if I recall right, might have been opened to bikes? Sorry for the crappy image pulled from a pdf.

Patty

Attachments

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
zorg said:
How is the new trail? Where do you catch it from the typical figure 8 loop?
If you're talking about the figure 8 with Coyote Peak / Rocky Ridge on one loop and Stile Ranch / Fortini on the other loop, then it's neither.

Rather this trail looks like it connects to the north side of the Vista Loop and Bernal Hill Loop area, around where it exits the park into the homes of Santa Teresa. This extra section now allows a much longer loop to the North via Joice and back up towards Bernal Rd near Mine / Hidden Spring trails. That's a nice addition I look forward to.

However, I look at the very steep Joice trail each time I do the Bernal Hill Loop and am glad I'm not climbing that real steep section. Maybe I can go down Joice to the new trail and climb up the other side that's not so steep.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Its a nice flat trail. Rockcrawler & me took it earlier this year. It starts near the bottom of Joyce, right after those log 'speed bumps'. It then follows the side of the hill to the ranch. Its a pretty fast trail, with a rolling grade the entire way. It does make a nice loop, and can be used either as a cool down spot, or a warmup spot before climbing to the top of Joyce

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We rode the new trail today as an out an back starting from the Bernal end of it. It's fairly flat overall, and goes right by the farm house. It joins Joice right before Joice starts to get really steep. Now the option exists to start from that side of the park and not have to climb Joice, which is nice.

·
Registered
681 Posts
knobbyknees said:
Looks like it makes a nice continuation of the Ohlone Trail, which if I recall right, might have been opened to bikes?
Patty
As far as I know, Ohlone is open to bikes, except for that last little bit that goes from the service road to Avenida Espana. Isn't it?

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
campisi said:
As far as I know, Ohlone is open to bikes, except for that last little bit that goes from the service road to Avenida Espana. Isn't it?
We ride Ohlone, and there are no longer any "no bike" signs on it. However, we never rode the trail when there were no bike signs on it. I just remember going by it a few months ago and seeing the sign gone, so I took it. And it's the best way into the park IMO.
However, as we rode by the golf course on our way out, we went through a section with a bunch of trees and heard something crashing in it. I'm pretty sure some a-hole golfer turned around and fired one at us. The guys golfing in that area were young and acting the part. Skidding and driving recklessly with their cart. I'm sure one of them had a bright idea of playing "hit the biker". I know when I was younger I would have thought of doing the same thing, however that little voice in my head would have prevented me from having such fun.

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
A golfer is responsible for any injuries or damage his or her ball causes - although liability might be limited if he/she yells out "fore!" to warn you. I'm sure you didn't hear a warning, plus if I recall the trail, there's no reasonable way for a ball to accidentally find its way up there.

IOW - your guess about the "hit the biker" game is probably right. You might have been able to talk to the course marshall and gotten them kicked off ... or maybe if a policeman happened to be watching the guys take aim at you, they might have gotten into legal trouble... but since nothing really happened to you, and I'm sure no officer was watching for your safety, it'd be next to impossible to show these guys any consequences for their really bad choice.

Oh well - at least golf balls shooting through the trees is slightly better than the bullets we had shooting through the leaves above our heads in Oregon...

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
dan51 said:
We ride Ohlone,.... And it's the best way into the park IMO.
As long as you don't take the insanely steep Boundary Trail that's a grind to even push the bike up. Even the Coyote Peak shortcut is a hike-a-bike, but not as bad. Which way do you go to get to Coyote Peak / Rocky Ridge - over to Bernal and back up Hidden Springs?

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
JustJeff said:
Oh well - at least golf balls shooting through the trees is slightly better than the bullets we had shooting through the leaves above our heads in Oregon...
I don't remember that part. Which trail was that on?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yes, it's a nice trail when you park at Joyce Bernal Ranch. It's open to bikes, somewhat downhill and connects to Mine Trail. Take mine trail up to Hidden Springs and you have a easier route to the "figure 8 loop" than with the steep Joyce trail.

- J.L.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
dan51 said:
The guys golfing in that area were young and acting the part. Skidding and driving recklessly with their cart. I'm sure one of them had a bright idea of playing "hit the biker". I know when I was younger I would have thought of doing the same thing, however that little voice in my head would have prevented me from having such fun.
On a random note, when I was younger we used to go behind the driving range, grab as many golf balls as we could, hike back on the trail to the hole that runs parallel to Bernal rd, and hit golf balls at the golfers. Maybe they're just trying to get revenge :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
cool about the new trail!

as a former competitive golfer that spent many hours on the course with the HS team, and endless supply of golfballs, I was stupid enough once to play hit the hotel building, hit the parking garage, go for the 300 yard field goal, oops. Whats the statute of limitations?

nowadays, if I were with you, I would have pulled out the cell phone and called the golf course to report them.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BigLarry said:
As long as you don't take the insanely steep Boundary Trail that's a grind to even push the bike up. Even the Coyote Peak shortcut is a hike-a-bike, but not as bad. Which way do you go to get to Coyote Peak / Rocky Ridge - over to Bernal and back up Hidden Springs?
We take Ohlone to Hidden Springs to Mine then do Rocky Ridge as an out and back. Many years ago I learned that the Boundary Trail was no fun, and haven't gone back to it.

In Oregon there were some kids playing with guns at the end of the Middle Fork ride. I think you stayed at camp that day and did a shorter ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts