Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 stumpjumper cro moly hardtail with a answer/manitou shock which i use for xc riding. I want to get a new light shock, my bike also has canti brakes. So to get one of these current shocks is it worth it to convert to v brakes or discs?

Or should i get a new bike? What shock do U suggest?
thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll take the other side of the fence.

I have a 97 TST hardtail and replaced the shock already once to a Mars. It is getting time to do it again. I like my frame and I don't want disc brakes for this bike, so I'm comtemplating between looking for a 2003/2004 Vanilla or Talas, or maybe a newer Fox F80 for it.

But that's just my opinion.

You have to make the judgement call based upon what you want to use the bike for and the bucks you are willing to shell out or afford.

But it's nice to get a new ride as well. Just built up an XCE this part winter. :D

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Steal is great, just get a kick arse fork to fit it and have fun, F80 if you race, best thing about steel is the flex and no cracking aka AL, shop around a zoke marathon SL might be better unless you are jumping it, then go Z-1, have fun!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Atomic300 said:
I have a 96 stumpjumper cro moly hardtail with a answer/manitou shock which i use for xc riding. I want to get a new light shock, my bike also has canti brakes. So to get one of these current shocks is it worth it to convert to v brakes or discs?

Or should i get a new bike? What shock do U suggest?
thanks
if you decide on a new bike and you're riding a 18-19", I'd be interested in buying the stumpy.

b4 we talk much about getting a new fork (my vote, along with brown teeth & spud), did they make a steel stumpy w/ 1 1/8" headset?
if it's 1" then your new fork options are very limited, as in only marzocchi is making 1" forks (in the US anyway). I'm not famiiliar w/ the '05 line, but it's only the models with 80-85mm travel (MX comp?) that you can get a 1" steerer on.

As for converting to v's or disc's, you'll have to w/ a new fork, since they don't come w/ canti hangers anymore. I'd only go to disc's if you're riding in a lot of wet/mud, otherwise if the canti's haven't been holding you back, get a set of v's w/ new levers.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
My wife has a mid 90's stumpy, in steel and it has a 1 1/8 headtube, great ride but a bit harsh for steel since they used ovalized tubes on the rear triangle, but it climbs well even with the POS mag21 on it (talk about a sticky fork).

·
Go faster
321 Posts
I vote for a new ride...
you can get a whole new bike w/ new components for about double the cost of a nice fork [(ie- a $1200 bike w/a fox shox XT/LX drive train) 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper] that might be more then you were looking to spend, but that is just an example.

If you do get a new bike, I would also recommend that you turn that Chromo Stumpy into a SS... or give it to me so I can :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
new ride

I am still trying to figure it out. I kinda of know that a new ride will be around at least $1200. So if I go new fork they go for around what 400 to 500 plus another at least 150 for v brakes front and back. Plus at least $100 for labor. This is why I might go for a new ride?
Does anyone thing it could cost me less than $750?

·
Registered
50 Posts
You could easily keep it under $750. Shop around for a used fork or a new fork. You could probably find a Marz MX, or 2003 Manitou black for $250-300. A set of Avid or LX/XT V-brakes could be found for under $150 with the levers. Also, do the labor yourself, that saves the $100.

However a really decent hardtail could be found for under $1k.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
For 400 he can get a'05 fox vanilla AND a chris king headset! Why mess around and that fork and headset can last one a lifetime of frames. V's are being dumped everywhere but I'd go with an avid bb-7 185 disks but you will need a new front wheel but they are easy to find for <100, so like 210 for the whole front set-up, very nice disk brake, deals at www.pricepoint.com amoung others. Have fun and if you want to sell that cromo frame PM me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.