Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing my new Rock Shox Pike Race and doing a few hard rides on it, I've come to the relization that my Fox Vanilla R rear shock just won't cut it any more. I want a new shock that will be plush enough on rocky single track and DH runs, and still be able to take larger jumps and drops. I'm looking at the Romic D or the Swinger 3 or 4way. I know someone will chime in with the Vanilla RC and have it Pushed, but if i was goint to go that route I would just get a DHX fo a little more. I am on a buget so I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and the romic and swingers seem to fit the bill, my biggest question is which on will suit my needs and my bike best .

Any sugestions would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Swinger is the best bet.

drum714 said:
After installing my new Rock Shox Pike Race and doing a few hard rides on it, I've come to the relization that my Fox Vanilla R rear shock just won't cut it any more. I want a new shock that will be plush enough on rocky single track and DH runs, and still be able to take larger jumps and drops. I'm looking at the Romic D or the Swinger 3 or 4way. I know someone will chime in with the Vanilla RC and have it Pushed, but if i was goint to go that route I would just get a DHX fo a little more. I am on a buget so I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and the romic and swingers seem to fit the bill, my biggest question is which on will suit my needs and my bike best .

Any sugestions would be very appreciated.
I have had two Romics in the past and still have not used a better feeling shock. The Romic D is very simple to use with only a rebound and compression dial. No air assist or half a dozen other adjustments to figure out. Without all of the adjustments that the other brands are touting these days, the Romic is very comparable in overall function to the best shocks out there.

With that said, the Romic has had major reliability issues. My first Romic did not bonk, but the second one did. The rebound and compression didnt work anymore. I sold the bike and didnt have to deal with it thankfully. I talked to a bike shop employee yesterday and was told that the Romic for 05 has improved internals. Whether or not this is true, I dont know. Have to call Romic I guess.

The 5th element and Swinger are similar shocks that are pretty reliable. The Swinger 3 way will save you a little coin and is worth checking out. I have owned a 5th and it did the job but I have heard from many different riders that the Swinger has a better "feel" to it.

For what it is worth, the Romic had a superior ride quality to the 5th element that I was running. Once again, it is reliability you have to be concerned about with the Romic.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info

The romics simplisity is realy inticing. I've been looking on Ebay and the classifieds for some good deals so i'll keep my eyes pealed.

Any other thoughts would be great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.