Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 05 R.M. Slayer S.E. Currently I have a Fox RP3 shock. I thinking about upgrading to a DHX air or a DHX coil. Do wither one of these work well with Slayers. We have rocky uphills and downhills here. I am using a R.S. Pike 409 Coil in the front. Thanks for the help and any other suggestions would be cool. Peace.

Attachments

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
The DHX air weighs almost half a pound more than the RP3 (200gms actually) and the DHX coil would weigh about a pound and a half more. Unless you're bottoming out the RP3, there wouldn't be a lot of advantage to a heavy shock like the DHX on the bike. You'd be better off getting the RP3 Push'd to your weight and the bike's leverage ratio.

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
I do not have a Slayer, but have ridden an rp3 for the better part of a year on a Turner Spot. I bought a used fox vanilla R ('08 model) recently, and have nothing but great things to say about it. Yes, it weighs more, but otherwise gives a superior ride in every way. In response to your original question, I would suggest you buy a used vanilla, ride for a while, and if you like it, then get it Pushed. Otherwise just Push your rp3. Personally, I plan on pushing the vanilla R, and keeping the rp3 as a backup and for those few times a friend out of my weight range is riding my bike. P.S. Try a shorter stem. I have gone from a 100mm to a 90 then a 70mm, with no plans on going back. Have a good one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'll check out a vanilla R that a good suggestion, but guess what while changing a rear flat this weekend I notice that I had a little play in the rear bearing of the shock (where it bolts up to the D-link). I was thinking about changing my stem from 110mm to a 90mm and get low rise handlebar. p.s. not to sound stupid but what does "pushed" mean. Does it mean rebuild?

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Push Industries is a Fox shock tuner in California. They can tune a shock to your weight, bike and riding style. It makes quite a difference if you're outside the median 150-175 pound rider that the off-the-shelf valving might work OK for.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I would have the RP3 rebuilt or PUSH'ed.

I loved the RP3 on my 2005 Slayer 70

1 - 8 of 8 Posts