Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a cheap set of brakes because my tektro have failed me for the last time, anybody know where to get a good deal? (preferably under $130 for front and back rotors don't need to be included)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
do yourself a favor and get the slx at $123. It's the same as the XT minus a superficial change. The brake design is considered one of the best on the market since it was redesigned in 2012. The fact you can get it for $123 is insane.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The shipping time wasn't much more than a week from the UK to Arizona for my Ribble order.
Yep, several folks on the Ribble thread received their orders in 6-8 calendar days. But others waited 14+ days. I think the point is that its not very deterministic: the role of customs is unpredictable. So if you MUST have brakes in 6 days, a Ribble order may not be a good choice. But if you have some patience and flexibility, then the prices can't be beat, and the shipping time is likely (but not guaranteed) to be short.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
XT set much cheaper on ribble. I elected to save the $15 bucks because their is no engineering difference between the two. But for some its worth the bling

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dumb noob question here....I am gonna replace my crap Tektro brakes with some XT's. I was planning on getting them from chain reaction until I saw this thread and it looks like Ribble is definitely cheaper. My dumb question is this, on chain reaction you have the option of each brake being right or left lever. On Ribble all you can do is add a set of XT brakes to the cart. For those of you that have ordered these from Ribble do they automatically come Front-left/Right-rear? And prebled?

·
Registered
186 Posts
They come euro/moto, pre-bled. So easy a monkey could do it to switch them over without bleeding. Search the forum there are tons of threads covering it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah I just saw the other thread on Ribble and realized that was the case. I went ahead and ordered the SLX's, 180/160 XT rotors, and adapter for front for $185 shipped. Can't beat that price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts