Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if HONE is available yet???

I'm building a new HardTail and I don't feel like forking out for Saint again and I heard the HONE compnent group is supposed to be pretty sweet.

Saint vs. Hone is supposed to be the FreeRide version of XT vs. XTR

Is this correct???

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
freeriderizzle said:
Saint vs. Hone is supposed to be the FreeRide version of XT vs. XTR
Not quite, more like LX(Hone) vs XTR(Saint).

Here is a good quote to better help you understand the difference...
Leprechaun (aka:[email protected]) on RM said:
Those Hones are LX as far as i know,didn't know about the spider,but the metal is soft in terms of the pedal thread area.XT's are the answer for those looking for a light setup.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
red5 said:
Not quite, more like LX(Hone) vs XTR(Saint).

Here is a good quote to better help you understand the difference...
[/size][/font][/i]

ya... i would stay away from hone... unless you're on a budget, then i'd go hussefelt/avid/sram etc...

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
only differnces between hone and LX are
1.) weight, on the cranks they got heavier duty bolts/rings and the whole thru axle assembly is heavy
2.)the whole thru axle assembly with the saint-esque derailluer.

thats just what ive heard. its out in all the distributor catalogs and i believe is shipping even. id go with XT or saint over that anyday. stronger, lighter, better. brake on the hone/lx are two peice calipers as opposed to everyother hydraulic brake they make thats a solid peice of aluminum

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't get the Hone stuff. I ordered a Hone rear derailleur and Hone hub from beyondbikes.com. The website said "ships in 0-2 day" but there was some sort of mix up and to make a long story short it was going to be 3 weeks (that was about 2 weeks ago) until the hub would ship.

I posted for advice on what to do and it was Sram all the way. I went with the '05 Sram rear derailleur, X9 triggers and a North Shore Billet Hanger Banger. I am so glad I did because after more research the Hone stuff is "all mountain" LX, that's all. I was at the LBS today and noticed that the Specialized Enduro is using something really similar to the Hanger Banger. No where in the States sells the Hanger Banger but Chris from NSB told me I could order one www.johnhenrybikes.com and it was just under $40 shipped.

Check out some of my posts about the Hone stuff under my profile I think you might find them helpful. I'm sure glad that I did not go with the Hone stuff and I am a total Sram convert.

If you do decide to go with the Hone stuff I know beyond bikes has/had the rear derailleur in but not the hub. They said it was going to be at least 3 weeks about 2 weeks ago. I called a bunch of places that had Hone stuff on their website's but no one had the hubs because they were not available from Shimano yet. Don't was your money or time on the Hone stuff and go Sram!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...I appretiate the input.

I think I'm gonna go Saint.
It's a fairly inexpensive build-up.
I'm going single speed so no deraileurs.
I have the brakes and hubs already.
I was gonna sell the brakes and hubs and buy a full Hone kit.
Guess I'll just by the Saint cranks and call it a day.

Thanks Again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.