Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 563 Posts

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Wow! I'm looking forward to that. I've got an Alfine 8 and a Rohloff. The Rohloff has a little too much range. I rarely find myself in the top few gears. The Afline 8 is fine most of the time but a little extra range would be nice. The Alfine 11 sounds just right. I hope they've made the steps between the gears more even.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More (new) details from the german website:

Price: about 300 - Euro (420$)
Weight: approx 1600 grams
Gear ratio: 409%
Jumps: 2 x 17% and 8 x 13%
Oil lubrication: 25 milliliters

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
This could be great...I wonder if it'll receive endorsement from Shimano for mountain bike usage...

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I bet the SRAM marketing person in charge of promoting the i-Motion 9 broke down and cried :D

baker said:
This could be great...I wonder if it'll receive endorsement from Shimano for mountain bike usage...
I don't need an endorsement, I just need it to withstand mountain bike usage :)

·
Missouri Chubber
83 Posts
OMG i can't believe shimano is moving a project such as this forward. An affordable version of the Rohloff with TRIGGER SHIFTERS. Now I HAVE to build that FS 29er i've been salivating over. Please post any developments in this direction. I have scanned the IGH forum for something like this for months. PLEASE let this hub enter production.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ah, this is perfect timing. I'l likely be picking this up for my commuter/bikepacking 29er setup. I've found my nexus 8 to be a little high for slogging up hills with a load, and I'm not really down for lowering the gear ratio below 2/1. Here is to hoping this version is as durable as the alfine 8 and nexus models..

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
"Affordable version of the Rohloff" is <i>probably</i> an overstatement, given Shimano's history to date. I hope it'll be as durable as the current Alfine, but for $400, doubt it'll measure up to the Speedhub's legendary reliability.
Nate I know what you're saying, but at 1/4 the price if it's even 1/3 as reliable it's a better deal in the end. Even at wholesale the Rohloff is more than I spend on non-consumables in 3 years, so the Shimano could really fill a spot for we cheap a$$es.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Oh, I don't disagree. Between my wife and myself, we have 4 Speedhubs, but I also have a Nexus 7, a Sram Spectro 7, an iMotion 9 and now a Nuvinci. Three of the Speedhubs I purchased used (and relatively cheap), without much concern or hesitation. But I'd never feel comfortable buying a use Sram or Shimano hub, unless it was incidental to a bike purchase.

All hubs have their place and I'm sure this new Shimano will be right up there. But I'll take the Speedhub's gear range and reliability off road at approximately 2x the price (used) vs. a new of the other. At least until the Alfine 11 hits the scene and proves itself reliable.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I was thinking some day I'd own a Speedhub, if this Alfine 11 turns out as nice as the Alfine 8, I don't think there'll be any reason to own one, esp for 3x the cost.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Bikerumor has a good writeup. Looks sweet, lighter, less rolling resistance, increased range. And the shifter looks awesome!

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
I currently run an Alfine in a C'dale BadBoy and a Rolo in the Nomad2
The thing I like most about the Alfine is the silence. It realy makes the BadBoy stealth.
This year I'll switch the BadBoy for a Mojo and the A11 sounds just perfect as I was a tad worried if th A8 will do. It was just fine in a flatland/winter BadBoy but I plan a bit more for the Mojo as my Nomad will be replaced with something little more FR.

1 - 20 of 563 Posts