Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, here are some pics of my spanky new xo grip shifters i am well pleased with them.I am a long term XTR RapidFire man, (on my old bike!) and thought it was time for a change, only problem is that when i got them i found scratches on each of the shifters in the same location see pic, it looks like the supplier (ebay guy) has removed something, any idea's?
also can any one recommend some good grips that will cut down and look cool. any help would be great. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel

·
Registered
462 Posts
ESI grips are outstanding:
https://www.esigrips.com/Silicone_Grips_Shock_Absorbing.htm

Chunky for GS.

I also use these and love them - Bontrager Race X Lite (and cheap):
https://bontrager.com/model/04262

Cut these grips to size and go!

Twist shifting is the way to go. Can't wait for SRAM to upgrade their product to see an improvement on there current 10yo X.O design. XX 10spd twisters for 2010? That was my wish for this year. DO IT SRAM. And a updated X.0 9spd.

·
Registered
999 Posts
scramble8 said:
Hi, here are some pics of my spanky new xo grip shifters i am well pleased with them.I am a long term XTR RapidFire man, (on my old bike!) and thought it was time for a change, only problem is that when i got them i found scratches on each of the shifters in the same location see pic, it looks like the supplier (ebay guy) has removed something, any idea's?
also can any one recommend some good grips that will cut down and look cool. any help would be great. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

View attachment 509019

View attachment 509020

View attachment 509021
I recommend the Oury grips. I have used the ESI Chunky grips, but I think the Oury are a better match with the GS.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
scramble8 said:

ODI makes lock on Rogue and Ruffian in Gripshift length. $14.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=7136&category=711

·
Registered
462 Posts
I find the 'lock-on' grips are too hard on my hands. The lock rings are not soft (being alu) and at grip-shift length feature in the area you grip. You'd need soft gloves or a light grip on the bars to use these for any extended time.

Kind of defeats the purpose of soft grips to add solid rings of alloy to your grip area...

·
Registered
462 Posts
JTBAZ said:
I recommend the Oury grips. I have used the ESI Chunky grips, but I think the Oury are a better match with the GS.
I know heaps of people who rave about Oury grips. Too soft for me - but I get why you'd like them... Then seem to be available everywhere as well.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Coldass said:
I find the 'lock-on' grips are too hard on my hands. The lock rings are not soft (being alu) and at grip-shift length feature in the area you grip. You'd need soft gloves or a light grip on the bars to use these for any extended time.

Kind of defeats the purpose of soft grips to add solid rings of alloy to your grip area...
I disagree. I don't notice the lock rings. Not on the gripshifters, when I had them, or the triggers I use now.

·
Registered
462 Posts
S-Works said:
I disagree. I don't notice the lock rings. Not on the gripshifters, when I had them, or the triggers I use now.
I am surprised you didn't feel this big lump of metal right in the middle of your grip area - which is where it is with GS:

I get with triggers you don't notice it, but with GS it is hard to avoid (it even falls right under your index finger/palm - owe).

I found it a PITA so tried full size lock-on with one side cut off (so no hard ring near the grip-shifter). This worked pretty well.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Ergon claims that any of their grips can be cut to fit, that would eliminate the inner ring. I've got lock-ons with my grip shift but I find the outside ring to be the one that is the pressure point for my grip

·
Registered
462 Posts
cruzthepug said:
Ergon claims that any of their grips can be cut to fit, that would eliminate the inner ring.
Right-on. I think the Ergon's would be worth a try.

I also had most trouble with the outside lock ring as a pressure point. That is why I flipped the lock-on's for the ESI's and Bonti's.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Coldass said:
I am surprised you didn't feel this big lump of metal right in the middle of your grip area - which is where it is with GS:

I get with triggers you don't notice it, but with GS it is hard to avoid (it even falls right under your index finger/palm - owe).

I found it a PITA so tried full size lock-on with one side cut off (so no hard ring near the grip-shifter). This worked pretty well.
Nope. Didn't notice it.

Sounds like I'm in the minority.

I guess I'm just not as sensitive as you guys.:(

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
Odi "Rogue" version has more padding than the "Ruffian" and keeps the lockring slightly below both the grip and the GS tubes. I don't notice it at all with gloves even for endurance rides, and most importantly, it doesn't move or twist with the GS even when wet.

When shifting the lockring sits between middle/ring fingers, or when free riding lockring tends to sit between pointer/middle finger. Note that on Ergons the wider pad tends to sit under ring and little fingers (also between lockrings on the Odi GS shorties), which is evidently where most weight gathers at the hand.

YMMV. Note mine don't have any serial number or other logos either.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I'll throw out another one for the Roque. I like them in the regular length with gripshift, gives you just a little more room for your hands. I have never noticed the locks, and it never even crossed my mind.

Also like the Ruffians on my SS, never used them with shifters though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.