Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well i was running through my gears earlier to test how long the up/down throws are. Then all of a sudden i heard a snap from with in my shifter (sram x-7) so i made sure it wasnt working (it sure wasnt) so i took it apart to try and repair any possible damage... obivously was unable to (as my sig says im a noob lol) so now i have to buy a new one, should i just buy a new single shifter? or in a set? considering the questionable relibality of this praticluar shifter (not the model but the shifter it self may possibly be defective so) to sum it up im looking for 2 things, should i replace both shifters or just one? and if so what shifters should i look into?

·
Registered
52 Posts
So i read your post and it appears i'm in the same boat i have X-7 shifters too but i am going to upgrade to X-9 for sure. I think that the X-O is for only some who has lots of green or never crashes. On the other side there is the wow factor of the X-O being part carbon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at some X-O's theer 340 at my LBS... a little pricy for me.... though if they will hold up better than my x-7's then it may be worth it... as i said i pulled it apart and found the problem, it seems that the cable it self riped through the plastic pully... so thats not cool... haha

·
Registered
606 Posts
I myself have a '06 XO medium cage derailleur, and it's linked to X9 8-speed triggers. I've never had to adjust the derailleur. After my cables stretched a bit, a turn or two on the barrel adjuster at the shifters worked everything out.

FYI- With SRAM XO, you only get the carbon pulley cage with medium/short cage derailleurs. Long cage XO is alloy. My derailleur has met with a lot of abuse from rocks, roots, bushes, and grinding uphill shifts under power..... cable housing started to split and fray, that's it.

XO is worth every penny. Sure, they're expensive, and there is the CDI (Chicks dig it) factor, but they completely squash Shimano in terms of shifting quality and durability. This year's X9 is very close in performance and build to last year's XO, so consider them as well. You don't even need XO shifter to match the derailleur. I've seen guys with X7 shifters running XO derailleurs no problem.
The only thing that comes close to XO now is Shimano XTR..... And XTR parts will bleed your wallet white.
Find an '06 XO on sale somewhere, and you'll be happy. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awsome thanks for the info! So if i deside to go with x0's should i be on with an x7 rear derailer and a deore front? i will most likely have to replace the front im assuming...

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Hewi said:
i took it apart to try and repair any possible damage... obivously was unable to
Did you find the damage?
Just wondering if the problem really is in the shifter itself.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Save yourself some coin....

this years X9 shifters are basically last years XOs! There have been some "imporvements" made to the 07 XO and the X9 benefited from "trickle down". And basically this years X7 is pretty much last years X9. I'd go with 07 X9's. Also, you won't have to replace either of your derailleurs if you don't want to. You already have a SRAM X series rear which is compatable with any SRAM X series shifter, and any shimano front D will work with any SRAM front shifters.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
perttime said:
Did you find the damage?
Just wondering if the problem really is in the shifter itself.
i did infact find the problem, im not to sure how to explain it though... the inner gear of the shifter, the one that actually torques the cable to shift, broke through the gear... if that makes any sence lol.

Squash said:
this years X9 shifters are basically last years XOs! There have been some "imporvements" made to the 07 XO and the X9 benefited from "trickle down". And basically this years X7 is pretty much last years X9. I'd go with 07 X9's. Also, you won't have to replace either of your derailleurs if you don't want to. You already have a SRAM X series rear which is compatable with any SRAM X series shifter, and any shimano front D will work with any SRAM front shifters.

Good Dirt
Awesome, that is probaly what I will end up doing then thanks for the useful info!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Hewi said:
i did infact find the problem
It is good to be sure that the problem actually is where thought it is. Like it was not a stuck or broken cable or something stuck in the deraileur.... unless something elsewhere caused the overload and breakage in the shifter....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts