Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hoodwink
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got a recon race with pop loc. i am having a big problem with the rapidfire shifters with the big display not having enough space to put the remote in the proper location. i am thinking about upgrading the shifter the sram x.5s. my question is will this shifter work with my alivio rear der and suntour front der. also maybe upgrade the the rear der to x.5 is this compatible with the 8speed cassette. both would cost $66 and how does it compare to the deore rear der. shifters are roughly $35. (prices from blueskycycling.com)

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
X.5 will not work with the Shimano Alivio rear, but will work with the front.
For the rears, it has to be SRAM to SRAM or Shimano to Shimano, UNLESS you get the SRAM Atack shifters which will work with Simano.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
"My question is will this shifter work with my alivio rear der and suntour front der."

Yes and no. The X5 is not compatable with the Alivo rear derailleur, however SRAM shifters are compatable with any front derailleur. The reason is all SRAM X series rear shifters and derailleurs use a 1:1 cable pull ratio. Shimano shifters and derailleurs usea a 2:1 pull ratio. Deffinately not compatable.

"Also maybe upgrade the the rear der to x.5 is this compatible with the 8speed cassette."

The derailleur is, the shifter is not. Derailleurs are for the most part "dumb" they do what the shifter tells them to. Most modern derailleurs will do 7, 8, or 9 speed no problem, as long as you have the correct shifters. The X5 shifter is not available in 8 speed. Check the specs on bluesky carefully. They state that the derailleur is 8, 9 speed compatable, but the shifter is listed as 9 speed only. To use the X5 shifter you'd have to roll over to a 9 speed cassette. The highest level 1:1 shifter available from SRAM is the X4.

"Both would cost $66 and how does it compare to the deore rear der."

The X5 components are at the same approximate level as Deore components. Which is better is a matter of personal preference. Both perform well.

If you are looking to upgrade and the shifter display is giving you problems then there is a SRAM solution for you. SRAM does make 2:1 trigger shifters. The SRAM Attack shifter is identical in form to the X5 with the display contained in the bar clamp. It is available in 8 speed and is compatable with all 2:1 derailleurs including Shimano. They are on an LX level in terms of performance and are quite durable. They're a little more spendy, about $58 for the set, but they will perform better than the X5 and/or Deore shifters. The bonus is you can use your current Shimano rear derailleur and upgrade later if you want.

You don't say what shifters you have now. But I am assuming that it is something below Deore. If you think the Deore display would be no problem then they are a viable solution as well. As long as you can find them in 8 speed.

The bottom line is, you'll need 8 speed shifters, and the shifters will have to be compatable with what ever deraillure you choose or your current derailleur. The X5 shifters are compatable only with SRAM 1:1 derailleurs and are only available in 9 speed. So no they won't work with your current set up.

Good Dirt

·
Hoodwink
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squash said:
You don't say what shifters you have now. But I am assuming that it is something below Deore. If you think the Deore display would be no problem then they are a viable solution as well. As long as you can find them in 8 speed.

Good Dirt
thanks for the info

they are shimano rapid fire shifters

here is a pic as you can see the pop loc isnt in an optimal position. it is also cause the shifter and brake handle angle to be higher than i want. i want it on the inside but the bar gets to wide at that point

i rarely use the first and third ring im thinking of ditching the shifter all together

or ditching the pop loc (if possible to get a regular lock out) but id rather keep that

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can swap the pop-lock system with a fork mounted lockout but it requires replacing the entire rebound dampener. Cost around $100-$150.

Also, some of those cheap shift windows are removable, you can see if they are and if that will help make room on your handlebar. You could also just move the pop-lock somewhere else closer to the stem. Cheaper than replacing the dampener and still closer than the top of the fork.

·
Hoodwink
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mount Dora Cycles said:
You can swap the pop-lock system with a fork mounted lockout but it requires replacing the entire rebound dampener. Cost around $100-$150.

Also, some of those cheap shift windows are removable, you can see if they are and if that will help make room on your handlebar. You could also just move the pop-lock somewhere else closer to the stem. Cheaper than replacing the dampener and still closer than the top of the fork.
the bar is too wide for the pop loc to be moved any closer to the stem

i ended up just taking off the front der, the left shifter, and 5 links off the chain. to leave it on the 2nd ring, a free solution until i get a new drivetrain (probably x.7 2x10)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts