Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today some of my best riding buddies got together for a Saturday ride to celebrate cakewalk's 60th. birthday. The ride was also formed to discuss the goals of a potential new multi-user club for users of the user-built trail system in Sedona.

We started out on Special Ed and shortly into the ride ran into a trail runner who drives a bus for the Flagstaff Unified School District. Apparently he was down for the track meet event being held at the Red Rock High School today. While the Flagstaff team was competing in the sporting event Paul/Peter (???) went out for a run down Special Ed to the Pyramid Saddle area. He said he loves that trail and it is a much better user experience for a trail runner than the shucky Schuerman trail with that stupid fall line eroded climb.

During the ride someone came up with the idea of calling the new club the Sedona Trail Club since it is all about Trails, Trails, Trails. That seemed simple enough to me since the idea of the club is to try and get user-built trail riders to volunteer 8 hours each year to do trail maintenance on the type of trails they love to recreate on.

At our first break spot I asked a touron named Philip (the rider with the Go Pro on his helmet) if he would be amenable to helping with some user built trail maintenance if we had authorization from the FS he said "no problem." At the recent IMBA meeting Jenny (the IMBA rep) indicated that you need to ask people if they want to help so I tried that tactic on Philip and it worked. Now I know asking advanced skilled mountain bikers to help do maintenance on really fun adopted user-built trails works, good idea Jenny.

After we started riding out Catwalk to hit the previously seldom ever ridden Scheurman trail we all took another break in the very beautiful red rock wash at the bottom of the really technical descent section of the trail. While we were brain storming about the new club idea someone came up with the idea of also opening the club up to hikers and trail runners. That seemed like a great idea since guys like Paul/Peter seemed to really like the Special Ed./Pyramid out and back why wouldn't they also love to connect the out and back with Catwalk and Scheurman as a 5.5 mile loop.

Also I have been recently been meeting with a bunch of Sedona hikers who really enjoy the user-built trail system because it is lees populated and a much better hiking experience than the same old Bell Rock Pathway hike with a bunch of clueless tourons who are just trying to get a 200 yard hike to the base of the very scenic Bell Rock formation.

After the Red Rock Slickrock Wash break the group rode up the Catwalk trail through the most beautiful wash you have ever been on. The people who had never been on the ride previously were amazed how cool that section of trail is. I can only imagine what a hiker or trail runner would think their first time through there. I will bet when TS and I can't ride anymore that will continue to be one of our favorite trails to hike.

Anyway the ride devided up when we got back to the high school. The cardio challenged riders headed back to the barn and those of us who wanted to continue on a longer ride and discuss more of the goals of the new club we continued on to ride Ledge & Airy to Draino (two very old user built trails) over to Last Frontier. Last Frontier is a newer addition to the user built trail system and it is also a very fun hike, trail run and mountain bike ride.

As many know much of the Last Frontier trail is part of an existing trail that was adopted by the FS equestrian adoption process many years ago. I have a picture showing the official signage of the trail. When I came up to that sign I was almost knock off my bike with a great idea, why not have the Sedona Trail Club have an adoption process where hikers, trail runners and mountain bikers could adopt sections of a trail they loved to recreate on and those individuals could work though the FS to keep those adopted trails in good working order with periodic trail maintenance during prime moist conditions.

Anyway I think the goals of the new club idea are moving forward nicely and as the group comes up with new goal ideas I will let you know when the enrollment period takes place. If any viewers have some other ideas let me know.

Since I already do a LOT of potluck barbecues on those great Sedona warm nights at my place and cakewalks, the club will also continue on in that same spirit to make sure we all can pretend we are living the American dream. What a country :thumbsup::thumbsup:

TD

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All Work No PLAY ???????????????

One of the other goals of the new club is to make sure all members have a good social experience with the club. After today's ride it was decided that we should try an experimental after ride GRAND party to see if in fact we could provide a nice social experience for those individuals who will end up being club members.

We try especially hard to make everyone comfortable so that we in return can expect an excellent renewal of the next years commitment for another 8 hours of volunteer work.

One of the other benefits is going to be free beer after doing a FS authorized work project on one of the adopted user built trails. Instead of supplying any old type of beer we are going to have a data base for each volunteer to make sure we provide an adult beverage that they enjoy the most. To make sure we don't go broke (like our current government) we will ask each volunteer to donate one dollar more than the actual cost of the adult beverages provided.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts