Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone "upgraded" their seatpost? it seems like a big waste of money to me. does a good seatpost give you anything a stock one doesn't? what am I missing.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
RTM said:
has anyone "upgraded" their seatpost? it seems like a big waste of money to me. does a good seatpost give you anything a stock one doesn't? what am I missing.
it can give a better suspension feel in some cases on some fs bikes. but thats only for xc. i never noticed it on a dh bike.

my experience is this. in 02 i had a trail bike that was a turner walking beam copy. i had a cheapy kalloy post on it. i got a thomson. i immediately noticed a difference in how the rear suspension worked seated. my guess was that less flex meant i was getting better input from my body to the shock/rear end. i cant really explain it but the bike really improved. i doubt this would work for dh/freeride cause the post is so low there is way less chance for flex and less of a percentage of riding in saddle is accomplished.

but since you asked get a thomson they are light and strong. a good way to save weight on pig bike is a thomson post. 65 bux and usually 4-5oz lighter than stock pig bike stuff.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
there isn't a big reason to upgrade the seat post on a HT unless you really to save weight or your replacing it. on a full squish bike get a Thompson elite post

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the weight savings does sound good but I feel like a hypocrite squeezing 5oz out of my seatpost when I should lose 10lbs myself. I've been full for a month...disgusting. I might look into it for my XC bike, but it does seem like a waste on the DH rig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts